New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Inverted hammers

I've run my advanced scan workbench for candlesticks: [
type is stock] and [sma(20,volume) > 200000] and [Close > 5] and [region is NorthAmerica]
and [weekly Volume > 2,999,999]
and [[daily Hammer is true]
or [daily Gravestone Doji is true]
or [daily Dragonfly Doji is true]
or [daily Hanging Man is true]
or [daily Shooting Star is true]]
but yet my scan didn't pick up stocks like ETSY, CVX, SBUX for January 16, 2019 trading day that all had inverted hammers I was looking for?
Help please?

Comments

• markdmarkd mod
    edited January 2019
    To troubleshoot, put the missing stocks in a list and run the scan against only the list - without the volume, region, type conditions.

If you still don't get the hits you expect, then the chart candle doesn't meet the Stockcharts definition of those candles.

If you do get hits, then the stock doesn't meet one of the non-candle conditions. Add those conditions back in, one by one. When a hit disappears, it's because it doesn't meet that condition.

Also, you might want to use average weekly volume instead of current weekly volume. Current weekly volume is probably calculated beginning with Monday, so it grows during the week. You would miss hits that haven't yet reached your threshold (although I don't know if that happened here).

Finally, it's best to run scans after about 6 pm eastern. Prior to that data is still getting updated periodically so volume and price numbers are 1 - not final and 2 - your scan could coincide with an update and get strange results.