New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Unusual Volume Scan Code

Can anyone give me the scan code for "today's volume is 50% greater than the average volume for the past 30 days"?

Comments

• markdmarkd mod
    edited December 2019
    You can pretty easily construct scans from the drop downs under the scan window. Open the drop down, select an item and click Add. Then you may have to edit to your needs.

For any kind of simple moving average, select the term SMA from the Technical Indicators drop down.

The first term inside the parentheses is the duration of the average, so you will have to edit the default offering from 50. The second term is already volume, so you can leave that alone.

You want to compare today's volume to the average, so you have to do some more editing - delete the ">9999999", and put the ">" sign in front of the SMA. Today's volume is just "volume" so you can just type that in in front of the > sign.

But, you wanted to compare to 50% more than the average. Another way to say that is 1.5 times the average (writing scans is often about finding different ways to say the same thing). So, immediately after the last parens for sma(50,volume), and before the closing bracket "]", type " * 1.5 ", without the quotes.

And you're done.

Post what you have if you get stuck.

Sample scans you can cut/paste/edit are here:

https://support.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=scans:library:sample_scans

Several very helpful scan links for doing just about anything are here:

https://support.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=scans:library
  • Thanks for your help!
  • Mark
    Lets say that i want to be able to run a volume scan about 30mins after the open to see if any stocks have unusual volume, i.e. after 30mins already 100% of the 60days average volume, would the following achieve that?

[type = stock]
    and [today's close > yesterday's close * 1.01]
    and [today's volume > yesterday's SMA(60,volume) * 1]
  • You would have to test it, but should work.

In the third line, you don't need the "* 1", just yesterday's sma(60,volume) should do it.