New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Parabolic SAR

I am trying to use the Parabolic SAR on a scalping/day trading basis. If I look at the SAR signals, they may say as an example, sell on a 5 min time frame but still buy on a 15 minute time frame. There are other scenarios with different time frames that do the similar thing. I am struggling as to what is the best strategy. Do I ride only with 1 time frame or jump back and forth to other time frames and which time frame do I pull the trigger to either buy or sell ?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Oh I just had a SAR example that had the 3 minute as a sell, the 5 minute as a buy and the 15 min as a sell ?? Does this make sense ?
  • Options
    You would get different signals from different time frames because the numbers used to calculate the indicator will be different. A five minute bar will have a different high than a fifteen minute bar.

Also, the 15 minute bars cannot change direction until the 5 min bars change direction long enough to cause the 15m to turn. A brief change in 5m direction may not cause the 15m bars to turn. So, the 5m can give a signal before the 15m and the 15m may not give a signal at all. And it could happen that by the time the 15m gives a signal, the 5m has already turned the other way.

I don't use SAR, so I don't know what is the best strategy. The chart school article recommends playing with the parameters to fit each particular stock's behaviors. I think you would want to pick the most trendy time frame, which would probably be longer.

Like most indicators, SAR is great when a stock trends, and not so great when it ranges. It also has the usual problems with selection of parameters - too narrow and you get whipsawed (in and out too soon, often at a loss), but set them too wide and you get in and out too late, cutting into the available profits.