New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

How to display a portfolio in sharp charts

How to display a portfolio in sharp charts, in other words Combine 2 or more stocks into a portfolio, give it a name and display that name in sharp charts.

Answers

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited November 2023
    If you are asking, can a portfolio's performance be displayed as a Sharp Chart, the answer is yes, but you have to provide the data that will be charted. You would do that by uploading a .csv file from a spreadsheet app like Excel.

https://support.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=data:user-defined_indexes

Could be a lot of work unless you can write excel macros to download and update your data.
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    User Defined Indexes are terribly cumbersome. I tried and quickly gave up on that option. Something that I do use is the ability to import a CSV file into a chartlist and utilize the fields in the import to display data of interest.

For example, on StockCharts.com you can add symbols to a chartlist by importing a csv file. The import of the csv file will put the column A information into the Symbol field, the column B information into the Name field, and the column C information into the Comments field.

I export my brokerage account positions page to excel. I then modify it into a csv file to be imported into StockCharts. Column A is the Symbol. I then modify my column B by combining data of interest into one field. In my case, I concatenate the Name of the ticker with the cost basis. In Column C I have the current % change at the time of the export.

Column
    A - : B - : C
    AAPL -: Apple : 25.45 -: 70%

By putting the share cost basis in the name field that data displays in the chart Header in Chartlist View with the percent change showing at the bottom of the chart. In Summary View, depending on your columns displayed there, Name will show next to the Close field for easy comparison between cost and current.

I also add a ranking system into the Name field based on either total cost or market value at the time. I sort the excel file to put it into an order of choice. Then I put A001 in a blank cell at the top and then doulbe click the bottom right corner of that cell to copy it down the list and it auto increments so A002 appears in the 2nd row cell, A003 in the next one down and so on. I concatenate that value into column B before the symbol Name so the column B changes to A001 Apple : 25.45. This gives you a little more flexability in doing sorts and renumbering options in StockCharts using the Summary View. By having a Letter as the first character in the sort, you can "remove numbers.." option.

One important thing to be aware of. IF you create a chartlist in this import manor and you use that chartlist in a scan, the results of the scan will only show the symbols that pass the scan without any of the additional information that you added.