New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

What StockCharts.com symbols show negative yields in Europe?

KevoKevo
I believe I heard in the news that some country in Europe now has negative yields. Does anyone know what symbols on SCC are available that would show this? Thank you.

Here is the news item I saw:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-negative-bond-yields-are-good-news-for-gold-2015-01-27

Answers

• I found these 3 in the symbol catalog:

$DET10Y - 10-Year German Treasury Yield EOD
    $JPT10Y - 10-Year Japan Treasury Yield EOD
    $UKT10Y - 10-Year UK Treasury Yield EOD

These must be the big 3. I figure they carry the most impact if something were to go wrong. Smaller countries like Switzerland is nowhere to be found. Since smaller countries are not in the symbol catalog, I figure this means they would have less to no impact if their Yield were to go negative.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited January 2015
    Thanks again for doing the research, Kevo!

Here's a link to an interesting story on negative yield on CNBC:

cnbc.com/id/102374260
  • Thank you markd. The next question on my mind is how do I interpret a negative Yield, and what does that mean?

I know that a negative Yield is not the same thing as a flat or inverted Yield Curve. An inverted Yield Curve is a serious problem that suggests recession is on the horizon. Since a negative Yield is not the same thing as an inverted Yield Curve, what does it mean?

I will study the link you sent momentarily. Thank you for the help.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited January 2015
    It means, instead of depositing an amount into your account periodically, they deduct an amount. So for instance, when a 1000 bond matures, you have not 1100, but 900 (or whatever, depending on the rate). Hard to believe, I know.

Of course this is meant to discourage deposits, which dampens demand for the currency. A currency in high demand hurts a country's exports. That is what was happening to Switzerland. But, if your form of cash (e.g. a euro) is depreciating faster than the negative yield, or you can't find another investment to beat the depreciation, you might do it, if it were your only alternative. Right now, the alternative is the dollar, which is the strongest currency at the moment, because you can still get a positive yield with it.