New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Is there a Definitive Guide for MA's and EMA's?

I find MA's and EMA's simple, but fascinating in showing where the stock is, where it has been and where it is heading. I see it as the vapour trail from a jet.

Is there a Definitive Guide or Book on this topic? I find that, in trying to predict the future outcome of a chart, the predictive value of Moving Averages, depend on the slope of the Moving Averages and their values need to be changed, depending on their slope, to try to see where a stock value may go next.

Comments

• I'm not sure about a definitive guide, but the SCC ChartSchool article is good: Moving Averages - Simple and Exponential. Also, I've learned a lot on my own.

See the post Moving Average of a Moving Average on this board. I explain what MAs mean as overlays.

MAs do not have forecasting or predictive value. They are lagging. They are used to confirm a trend. Price crossing a short-term MA can be good signals. MAs work as Support/Resistance. I have learned to divide MAs up into the 3 major time frames.

What I find interesting is that several momentum indicators use MAs in their calculation.

Thanks to computers we have MAs. In the past, it was too much calculation work to do manually.