New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

scan and indicators bollinger bands

I shall never get the hang of scanning indicators for indicators, lol

What is the scan code for scanning: RSI(14) moved above its Bollinger band (20,2).

Thank you in advance, much appreciated.

Isabel

Comments

• markdmarkd mod
    edited November 2015
    This seems to do it:

AND [Daily RSI(14,Daily Close) > Daily Upper BB(20,2.0,RSI(14))]

The default presentation of BB - Upper or Lower -, when you select them from the technical indicator drop down on the advanced scan page, does not show that you can add a third parameter - in this case, RSI(14).

And, if you attempt to construct the scan in the standard scan builder, it doesn't take a third parameter for Upper BB.

BUT, on the standard scan page, if you just enter RSI(14) > Upper BB (20,2), and then hit the button to see the scan as written by the scan engine on the advanced scan page, it shows - a third parameter! - which is the default value, Daily Close. If you substitute RSI(14) for Daily Close, you got it.

My guess is you could do this with any indicator to see where the "hidden" or "undocumented" (as far as I know) parameters are.
  • works beautifully. Thank you for the code. I will definitely use your suggestion about using the standard scan page in the future.
  • Another good place to check is the "Advanced Scans: Indicator Reference". This documentation shows you the format for each indicator.

http://stockcharts.com/docs/doku.php?id=scans:indicators
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited November 2015
    @Gord great link, Gord. That's a very convenient page to have, but why would anyone guess it's located under Support instead of Chart School? Probably should bring it up with support to put a another link to that page there. Thanks!

• I take it back. As an old timer, I'm used to going to Chart School first. Newer users might try the support page first. But a second link on Chart School couldn't hurt. Or, just amend the articles for the indicators where the "silent" parameter isn't mentioned.
  • Hi Markd, sorry I probably should have included the links as to how I got there.

First go to the chartschool page,
    http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school
    scroll down under "Technical Scanning Resources", then select "Scan Engine Documentation"

http://stockcharts.com/docs/doku.php?id=scans

Now scroll down to the "Detailed Documentation" section and you will see;

Standard Scan Workbench
    Advanced Scan Workbench

Working with Scan Results

Advanced Scans: Scan Syntax
    Advanced Scans: Indicator Reference
    Advanced Scans: Function Reference
    Advanced Scan Example Library

Just select the Indicator Reference link.

Yes the starting links are in the ChartSchool section but as you get further down the line you end up in the Support / Documentation section. I know it may seem a little odd as to why it isn't all stored under the ChartSchool section, but I know StockCharts is trying to keep the ChartSchool section for generic Technical Analysis and Chart reading, independent from which charting software you use. The sections on scanning are really particular to StockCharts and are not of any use to someone using another platform.
  • @Gord - thanks for the detailed explanation. I stand corrected.