New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Moving averages that is different

re: Moving averages that is different.

Looking or a scanning tool that finds Front-weighted moving average of 10 crossing over the moving average of 8 heading north at the crossover and the other scanning tool that finds Front-weighted moving average of 10 crossing over the moving average of 8 heading south at the crossover.

example as follows:

go to freestockcharts.com first and then insert the following in the URL.

http://www.freestockcharts.com?emailChartID=32db1b4a-366d-43a0-b8c0-4f96ffda2536 shows INDL. Hopefully, COLB will show up on the scanning tool heading south.

thanks in advance,

Quill -

Comments

• Not sure if this is what you mean. The freestockcharts site requires enabling things I don't want to activate on my machine.

I'm assuming by front-weighted you mean exponential moving average (ema).

This scan uses the "x" operator, which means "crossed above". So the first term (on the left hand side of the "x") crosses above the second term (right side).

"Cross above" means the first term's prior value was below the second term's prior value but the first term's current value is now above the second term's current value.

The "//" at the start of the second line is "comment" signifier. The scan engine cannot see the text on the same line as the "//", so anything written there will not execute. So you can use "//" to turn scan statements on and off.

[group is sp500]

//and [ema(10, close) x sma(8,close)]

and [sma(8,close) x ema(10, close)]

If you want both conditions to show up in the same scan, you would use an "or" statement. You need extra brackets placed correctly to make that work

[group is sp500]

and

[

[ema(10, close) x sma(8,close)]

or

[sma(8,close) x ema(10, close)]

]

To check whether the results from the scan are what you want, put the results in a chartlist, click on a chart in 10 per page mode, format the chart on the chart workbench so it includes the two MAs (ema10 and sma8), then at the bottom of the page click on the button "Apply Style to All". Click on "View All" at the top of the page and review the results.

Hope that helps.
  • Getting close

In order to see the chart provided, you have to call up Freestocks.com first and then copy and paste the line into the top URL space.

The following is close but they are off by 2 to 3 days. A few hit the target.

Bullish crossover

[type = stock] AND [country = US] AND [Daily EMA(8,Daily Volume) > 500000]

//and [SCTR > 90]

AND [Daily EMA(10,Daily Close) > 10] AND [Daily EMA(8,Daily Close) crosses Daily EMA(10,Daily Close)]

Bearish crossover

[type = stock] AND [country = US] AND [Daily EMA(8,Daily Volume) > 500000]

//and [SCTR > 90]

AND [Daily EMA(10,Daily Close) > 10] AND [Daily EMA(10,Daily Close) crosses Daily EMA(8,Daily Close)]

Consistently making the second MA (the slower MA) be based on the first MA which gives better signals.

Prefer 'Front-weighted' To 'Exponential', as faster parameters. This then should then be on target.

Hope this can help in figuring it out.

Quill -
  • I think front-weighted and exponential are the same thing. If they are not, then as far as I know, Stockcharts does not offer front-weighted averages. If they ARE the same, then it's possible freestockcharts uses a different formula for calculating the front-weighted average. It might help to compare the documentation on the two sites. See Chart School on Stockcharts - Technical Indicators and Overlays - for how they calculate their emas.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited November 2015
    OK. They are different and they are calculated differently. SC doesn't offer it, to my knowledge. You are unlikely to find an exact equivalent with emas. On the other hand, the best parameter combinations for any crossover method will vary as market behavior changes. It might actually be easier (and more accurate) to trade uncalculated support and resistance levels (highs and lows, opens and closes, where buyers and sellers show the limits of their strength and weakness). But that's up to you - different minds work differently.
  • markd,

I thank you and appreciate all of your assistance.

Best regards,

Quill -
  • markd,

re: Front-weighted Moving average (FW)
    re: CCI (14)

Found the answer by accident which was staring me in the face all along.

//Scan 11 - CCI Bullish (crossing above 0)

[type = stock] AND [country = US] AND [Daily EMA(5,Daily Volume) > 500000]
    //and [SCTR > 90]
    and [Daily EMA(20,Daily Close) > 10] AND [Daily CCI(14) crosses 0]

- - - - - - - -
    remove the "//" from the second line which will find a shorter list.

//Scan 12 - CCI Bearish (crossing below 0)

[type = stock] AND [country = US] AND [Daily EMA(20,Daily Volume) > 500000]
    //and [SCTR > 90]
    and [Daily EMA(20,Daily Close) > 10] AND [0 crosses Daily CCI(14)]

- - - - - - - -
    remove the "//" from the second line which will find a shorter list.

What the above scanning tools will find is that it will post A DAY before the xover occurs and sometimes on the xover for buying and selling any stock.

Observe ADP and HA as an example. Bought ACAS and ADRO.

On the Internet Explorer, insert

http://www.freestockcharts.com/platform/v1

Then add the following line in the URL line.

http://www.freestockcharts.com?emailChartID=32db1b4a-366d-43a0-b8c0-4f96ffda2536 shows INDL which will show the FW Moving average 10 and Moving Average 8. We are following the Yellow FW Moving Average for the xovers.

Next, click on the Add Indicator and select Commodity Channel Index (CCI) 14

Should now have only TWO (2) panels. Slide the cursor over the CCI 0.00 line and then observe the findings at the top Moving average panel.

Save as the master by clicking on the File and create a name.

I believe that TC2000 by Worden can create the same results for a fee for the software.

Best regards,

Quill -