New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

How to create a scan for the 'max stock price in 2015'?

I am trying to scan for the max prices of certain stocks in 2015.

Answers

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited April 2016
    Hi @raggarwal , the scan engine only returns symbols that fit the conditions in the scan.

"max stock price in 2015" is a number, not a symbol, so you can't write a scan for that.

It sounds like you already know the symbols you want. To find the max price for those symbols, you have a couple of choices.

You could put the symbols in a chart list, or just enter them in the "Create a chart" window at the top of the SC home page and then use the "Inspect" function, or you could download the "Past Data" (see link under chart - subscription only) into Excel and use the max function in Excel.

Note, the data for a default format symbol (e.g., IBM, AAPL) is adjusted for splits and dividends, so the results you get for your symbols may not be a price where the stock actually traded on a particular date. If you want unadjusted data, put an underscore ( _ ) in front of the symbol (e.g. _IBM, _AAPL).

P.S. I am not certain whether data is adjusted for non-US stocks (I am a Stockcharts user in the US, I don't work at Stockcharts) - you should test each symbol with and without the underscore and compare the data.

• Options
    Hi @markd. If I want the scan engine to return results for stocks using unadjusted data, how would I do that? I tried using the following code: "and [symbol starts with '_']". This did not work. Evidently, the underscore needs to be inserted AFTER the scan is performed, but this defeats the purpose, for me at least. I need the results to match the charts on my trading platform which does not use adjusted chart data. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Hi @trade_craft , sorry I did not see this earlier. It seems sometimes the forum software does not move replies to the top of the front page.

@gord , do you know the answer to this question?
  • Options
    gordgord admin
    edited July 2016
    I don't think you can. The scan database is only adjusted data for TA. The unadjusted historical database was only added so users could check against other sites.
    But u could always send in a question to support.