New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Buyable gap-up

Hi there,

I'm looking for a "Chris Kacher buyable gap-up" scan with the following pattern:

1. At least 0.75 times the stock’s 40-day Average True Range of the day before the gap-up day
2. Occur on volume at least 1.5 times or 150% above the 50-day moving average of daily trading volume
3. Occur within an uptrend or constructive consolidation, not during a downtrend

Any ideas on this?

Thanks
Sascha

Comments

• Options
    You can select the indicators you have chosen from the drop downs under the scan window and then edit for the conditions you want.

You didn't specify what an up trend is - you could test for either the 200 ma greater than say 21 days ago, or the 50 ma greater than say 10 days ago.

If you get stuck, post what you have.
  • Options
    Hi Markd

This is what i currently have:

[type = stock]
    and [country = us]
    and [group is not ETF]
    and [SMA(50,volume) > 400000]
    and [close > SMA(200,close)]

and [Daily Low > Yesterday's Daily High * 1.026] // gap-up check
    and [Daily Volume > Daily SMA(50,Daily Volume) * 1.5] //Volume at least 150%
    and [sma(200, close) > 30 days ago sma(200, close)] //Uptrend at least 1 month

I don't know how i can include the atr(40) *0.75 measurement into the gap-up check.

Thanks for your help

Krgds
    Sascha
  • Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited October 2016
    I think this should do it. The expression ATR(40)*.75 just needs to be isolated in its own brackets. You have to use brackets because the scan engine reserves parentheses for functions and indicators like max(10,close) or MACD Line(12,26,9).

[type = stock]
    and [country = us]
    and [group is not ETF]
    and [SMA(50,volume) > 400000]
    and [close > SMA(200,close)]

//and [Daily Low > Yesterday's Daily High * 1.026] // gap-up check

and [Daily Low > Yesterday's Daily High + [ATR(40) * .75] ]// gap-up check

and [Daily Volume > Daily SMA(50,Daily Volume) * 1.5] //Volume at least 150%
    and [sma(200, close) > 30 days ago sma(200, close)] //Uptrend at least 1 month

p.s. 30 days ago is about six weeks, (6 x 5 tradings days a week, except for holidays) which is a perfectly good test. No reason to change it if you like it. A month would be about 20 - 21 trading days (4 x 5 days plus two extra days usually, at the beginning or the end of the month or both, minus one holiday, usually)
  • Options
    Thanks. It works like that.