New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Any way to save annotations across multiple timeframes?

When analyzing trend lines, I'm trying to find a way to save the annotations across multiple time-frames. As an example, if I draw support and resistance lines on a weekly chart, and perhaps including a Fib retracement on the weekly, I'd like to see those same lines when I switch to daily. So far, I haven't found a way to save them across time-frames, though. Is it possible here?

Thanks!

-- Ron

Best Answers

• KevoKevo
    Answer ✓
    Here is my perspective on this: Annotations apply to saved charts. I assume there is a technical reason for this. On a saved chart, if one only changes the period without changing any styling, the annotations are lost. There is a reason for this. I may not have the best explanation as to why this is. Maybe someone else with more understanding could chime in. Changing the period takes the chart to a new unsaved chart. What is the technical reason for this?

On a saved chart with annotations, if one changes the ChartStyle and if the ChartStyle is the same period, then sometimes you can see the annotations and sometimes you cannot. I do not understand the rules/reasons behind why this is.

If the ChartStyle is a different period, then the annotations are lost. This is likely by design to be consistent with the above.

I do know the annotation system is getting a re-write this year. I would like to see if SCC maintains these same rules.

Now to answer your question, I see that it is not possible to copy and past annotations. I am not sure if this is related to the rules above, or if it is a technical reason like being in FLASH editor mode. If the second chart with the different period is saved to a chart list, you can then add and save annotations to it.

Now I am wondering, what is the soundness of having the same annotations from a larger scale on a smaller scale after considering the rules above? Knowing where weekly Support/Resistance occurs on the daily could be helpful, but I seemed to have dropped the issue myself mainly I think due to the similarities of the two Support/Resistance periods. For a TrendLine to be valid, the TrendLine has to touch 2 or more close/high/low. This may not be the case when you copy a TrendLine from a different period. Have you seen this happen? I do like Fib Retracements. I find it easier and faster to just switch to a saved chart.

This got long fast.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited March 2015 Answer ✓
    I'm guessing this can't be done because this version of the annotation tool probably relies on pixel locations, not actual dates and prices to locate annotations. I would guess it uses the data used to create the chart to anchor the notations and then offsets the annotations from one end of the chart (sort of like powerpoint seems to work). But weekly charts would be on a different scale than dailies. The annotation tool probably does not know in advance how the weekly chart would be scaled because it doesn't know the time frame (start and end dates) or the high and low prices for that time frame that have to fit on the chart, so it doesn't know how to convert the locations on the daily chart to locations on the weekly chart. Even if it did use data, the daily data will not always correspond to the weekly data - in other words, a daily data item used to anchor, say an Raff Regression Channel on the daily chart (the highest close and lowest close) may not exist in the weekly data if those points were not Friday closes. I'm sure it can be done, but it would be a much more complex tool to develop.

Answers

• Thanks for both of your replies. They not only answer the question - it can't be done in the current annotation tool - but also provide a reasonable explanation as to why it's currently not there.

To answer Kevo's question on trendlines, I have found behavior on a daily or hourly chart reacting to a trendline on a high timeframe. What I'm really interested in seeing though, is whether or not a current trend (on, say, the daily) is really just part of a retracement against a broader trend on the longer period (such as the weekly.)

It will be interesting to see the redesign of the annotation tool. The charting ability here is my #1 reason for subscribing, so it will be interesting to see how the tool is enhanced.
  • I'm not sure if this will help, but I believe the tool will preserve annotations as long as the time frame remains the same. So, for instance, if you extended your daily chart to the length of your weekly chart (or at least enough to include the start point of your trend line), and draw a trend line, then re-size the daily chart to your preferred date window, the trend line will remain accurately in place. (I've done this with fib lines - haven't tried trend lines). The annotation may go off the edges of the chart, so it looks a little messy, but the information you need would be there. Just a thought.
  • To see annotations from a higher time frame here is what I do. For instance on a 30-min chart I will expand the time span out to a year. Place my annotations. Then take the time span back to the 5 days or so and save the chart. In this way I can see the activity from the higher time frame on the 30-min chart.