New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

SCTR scans

Hi I'm a newbie to this...trying to break down S& P 500 in to 4 SCTR categories.....< 25 and > 75 are already there under SCTR headings but can someone tell mw how to write > 25 but < 50 and > 50 but < 75...thanks for your help

Comments

• Options
    Here's the 25 to 50 group

[group is sp500]
    and [sctr > 24.9]
    and [sctr <50]

rank by sctr

Here's the 50 to 75 group

[group is sp500]
    and [sctr > 49.9]
    and [sctr <76]

rank by sctr

Note the built in scans will not get you charts ranked 25 or 75. So <25 is really 0 to 24.9; >75 is really 76-100. That's why the boundary values are not as you have suggested (>25..., ...<75 if you want the four lists to be all inclusive.

The "rank by sctr" line puts the results in descending sctr score order (highest score first). If you want to save the list that way, click "Preserve sort order" when you make or replace the list.
  • Options
    Hi all and markd,

I was thinking in terms of using the greater than or equal to operator. I suppose it is a matter of preference.

Here are some thoughts I would like to share:

The SCTR values are calculated based on a larger universe of large caps, not just the S&P 500. If you want to look at all the large cap SCTRs and not just the S&P 500, then replace each occurrence of SCTR with SCTR.large and remove group clause.

I don't use SCTR for signals. I use them to measure Relative Strength. SCTRs should be used to narrow down the results that you want to study. Don't forget to look at improving/declining Relative Strength when plotted as an indicator.

One way to use SCTRs in terms of a signal, would be to look for symbols that cross above a value like 90. Still, this is only one metric of TA: Relative Strength. More metrics should be used before making decisions.