New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Indicator Scan

Howdy,
If I run a stockchart with RSI 10 in an indicator window, I run PRICE (behind RSI indicator) to get a feel for how the two run relative to each other.
Would like to scan when the price is actually below the rsi 10?

[ type is stock] and [RSI (10) < 30] with price less than rsi 10 in the rsi indicator window.

Don't know if this is possible.

Best Answers

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited November 2015 Answer ✓
    I don't really understand why you want to do this - it's really an apple and oranges comparison, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't see what comes of it, so:

This scan seems to work most of the time. You have to normalize the two different scales to compare them, so the scan expresses the close as a per cent of the six month (126 day) range (kind of like a stochastic). Per cent uses a 0-100 scale and so does RSI. So it sort of converts apples (price) to oranges (RSI).

and [ [ [ [close - min(126,low)] / [max(126, high) - min(126, low)]] *100] < RSI(10)]

It does find some results where Price is above RSI. I think this might be because Stockcharts uses something other than the max high and min low to plot the Price indicator (there's probably some padding added to the actual range, but I don't know how they do it). Or, it may be there are not 126 bars exactly due to holidays. But, as I said, most charts seem to be right.

Or, you can just use the Fast Stochastic %K(126,1) to get a similar result. It also has a 0-100 scale and uses the max high and low:

[group is sp400]

and [RSI(10) < 30]

and [Fast Stoch %K(126,1) < RSI(10)]

It should work for the same way for any length chart - so for 3 months, the parameter would be 63 or so, etc.
  • Options
    markdmarkd mod
    Answer ✓
    I think the 7 in place of the 10 in RSI(10).

Answers

• Options
    Hi Mark, WOW huge equation,I would never have gotten that! Sometimes I run rsi 7,14,& 21 all in the same indicator window. Then if the price falls below the 7 it is way oversold.
    If I use 7,14,21 which number do I use at the end of your 4 bracket equation?

Also I'm calling this the Apples and Oranges Scan like in your answer.

Thanks Mark