New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

I would like to pay someone to set up scans for me with the parameters I have

Please let me know if someone can do this for me...very simples scans using EMA for ETF's stocks, etc.

Thanks

Douglas
404-725-2208 Atlanta

Answers

• If they are that easy, and not confidential, and you don't mind sharing, and there aren't too many, just describe them and we can walk through them here. It would probably be helpful to others as well.
  • Thanks...just want to see weekly closings using 8 and 21 EMA for S&P 500 and some domestic and international ETF's.

Don't mind sharing and not confidential at all.

Thanks!
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited February 2016
    @douglas51 OK. I think you probably want to put the SPX and the international ETFs into a list, and then scan that list [favorites list is ??] for the condition you are looking for.

When you create the list, and view all your lists in the Chartlist drop down, it will have a number to substitute for "??".

On the other hand, if there are not too many ETFs, you may not even need a scan, you could just review the charts in the list. But that's your call.

If you want a scan, what conditions are you looking for? Close above the 8, close crossing the 21, or ... etc. ?
  • Thanks for the quick reply. looking for cross up and down for the 8 and 21. looking for the scan to look at all of the stocks in S&P 500 and about 100 ETFs.

Sorry to be so ignorant about this....I'm a lawyer!
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited February 2016
    No need to apologize. I had lunch with a lawyer yesterday.

OK. I'm assuming you don't have time to learn how scan, but to make the most of your subscription, it would be worthwhile if you can find the time. Explore the support page resources if you decide to try it. But in the meantime:

For the SP 500 stocks:

For the cross up on the weekly chart (the weekly 8 ema crosses above the 21 ema):

[group is sp500]

and [ weekly ema(8, weekly close) x weekly ema(21, weekly close)]

For the cross down on the weekly chart (the 21 ema crosses above the 8 ema - that's how you have to express it):

[group is sp500]

and [ weekly ema(21, weekly close) x weekly ema(8, weekly close)]

For each scan, copy and paste the the lines with brackets into the advance scan page window (after deleting the default text), press "check syntax", press run scan and check the results. If everything is ok, press save and give the scan a name. If there's an error or it's not what you want, let me know.

For the ETFs, I think you need to make a favorites list and then do the same scans as above but substitute [favorites list is ??] for [group is sp500]. You could get around making the list if all 100 ETFs have something in common in their names, like all Blackrock, or all State Street, but that seems unlikely.

Let me know if that does it or not.
  • thanks! will try.....
  • sorry...do not even know where to start...all Greek to me.

Can I give you access to my page and you do it for me?

Thanks
  • Would rather not do that. If you're not computer savvy, you would be better off to get someone local to come in and help with the cutting and pasting etc.
  • let me give this a shot

0) best to have only one tab in your browser.
    1) go to scan editor using this link: http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/ScanUI?act=load&strScan=
    2) delete everything in the editor window
    3) copy and paste the following into the editor window
    #vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    [country is US]
    and [
    [group is ETF]
    or [group is SP500]
    ]
    #** comment example
    #** and [sctr > 60]
    and [volume > 75000]

and [ weekly ema(8, weekly close) x weekly ema(21, weekly close)]
    #^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    4) note a) the extra condition for volume. b) comment, #, to document coding rationale.
    5) click "check syntax" button. You should see "Your syntax is correct". If not, check your your copy and paste.
    6) click "Run Scan" button". First save your edit by click "save as" on the top right editor window. put in what ever script name you want to call.
    7) Scan results should show up in a new browser tab as "User-Defined Scans: Results".
    8) You can save your scan results, see top of the page.

Note the scan results is only for when the two moving average crosses; for either crossing up or crossing down. You can request for scan modification after you familiarized with the scan mechanism.