New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

A new scan

Hi guys, I am new to this site and am having difficulty in trying to write a simple scan for my stocks that I have saved in my charts. Does anyone have any idea how to do this, as it is beyond my capabilities.
All I want to be able to do, is scan for new trends within the technical tools that I have loaded.
Any help would be appreciated. I have read and watched the beginning lessons on how to write scans, it wasn't long before I got hopelessly lost!
Many thanks,
Adrian.

Comments

• Options
    Well, the first step is figure out what you want to scan for and write that down in plain English. In other words, you have to be very specific about what you want to see.

A very simple scan with overlays might be the 50 MA crossing above the 200 MA.

A very simple scan with indicators might be Slow Stochastics crossing above 80.

So start with something very simple that you want to see, put it in plain English, and we can go from there.

• Options
    Hi Markd,
    That was very useful, thank you. Now I have done all that, all is left, is to be able to scan just my stock in my chart list, any ideas?
    I thought maybe replace the [stocks=us] bit, but that doesn't seem to work.
    Many thanks,
    Adrian.
  • Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited April 2016
    Yes, replace all the stocks = us bit - cut that line.

Then, go to the drop downs in the "Scan Builder" section under the scan window on the Advanced Scan Workbench.

Open the "Chart Lists" drop down.

Highlight the list name you want to scan and click Insert

The list will show up at the very bottom of your existing scan - scroll down until you see it, cut the whole line, then paste it at the top where the stocks = us bit was.