New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Chart comparing index now versus index in 1999

I would like to compare $INDU daily or weekly against $INDU in the 1999 timeframe. Any idea how to do this?

Answers

• It would be quite a bit of work, but you could create a user defined index from the 1999 data. You need to have some basic knowledge of Excel, and would have to adjust the 1999 dates to the current dates to which you want to match the historical data.

Here's a link to how to make a user defined index:

stockcharts.com/docs/doku.php?st=user+defined+index&id=data:user-defined_indexes

Alternatively, if you are more familiar with Excel, you could use its charting tools to do the something similar.
  • gordgord admin
    edited April 2016
    Riggs, here's a link to another thread where we discussed the use of a 1day SMA which was time shifted in order to show the desired dual time frames on the same chart.

http://scan.stockcharts.com/discussion/584/chart-of-2013-year-on-top-of-2014-year-stockchart#latest

Here's a sample chart I created.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$INDU&p=W&yr=1&mn=0&dy=0&id=p78664045141

Now there are a couple of special things we need to do. First I used a weekly chart as the time shift is very long, in a daily chart it would be over 4000 periods which appears to be too long for the chart engine, however on the weekly chart it's only 835 periods.

Now we can't time shift a section of the price chart but we can time shift a MA, so I used a 1 day SMA which is the same as just the close.

The other problem is the difference in price from 1999 to today, on the 1 yr chart the time shifted SMA would be off scale below the chart and thus not visible. So I've added a user defined index with a couple of data points, then added that as an overlay using the "Price Same Scale" option. In my case the UDI was named "@TEST" the image below shows the two data points in two sequential weeks. This forces the scaling to expand to include those two points, they are shown as red dots on the chart, however you could also set the opacity to "0" to make them invisible.

Note I also selected the log scaling so on a percentage basis a vertical move of say 1/2 inch on the lower chart is the same percentage move as 1/2 inch on the upper chart.

• Great memory, @gord !