New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Chart notes 2.0 bugs

Has anyone tried the new chart notes beta HTML5 on an iPad? It works on my iPhone but not on my iPad. I have looked at every setting and can't seem to figure out what the problem is. It appears to be a issue with JavaScript.

Comments

• You should report it to SC support via the "Report Problems" link at the lower right of your chart in Chart Workbench mode.

You should include everything you can about your iPad environment, and what specifically doesn't work - does it not launch at all, or are some features not available, or is a feature available but not working as expected, etc.
  • Yes I did that. Thank you. Just wondering if anyone on here is having the same problem.
  • I'm a Windows guy, so I know nothing about Apple products, so maybe a stupid question - but - do any of your security features have white lists for trusted sites?
  • I will check
  • Ok I finally figured it out! I was in a mobile version of Stockcharts in Safari browser. Once I clicked on desktop version, it worked. Uggg, this one kept me up for hours. So there you go if anyone else runs into this problem. So nice to finally be able to annotate charts on my iPad. Thanks for your help!
  • Tried chart notes, and found two problems. One is: trying to exit, it then asks to Upload ,and after Cancel button is pressed, the annotated charts stays on screen, though it should have dropped off.

Second issue is the horizontal leg of the new indicator tabs interferes with the chart image, and needs to be rearranged vertically alongside the other vertical leg off to the left side of the chart.
  • gordgord admin
    Sounds like you are trying to save/upload and then hitting cancel. If you just want to exit without saving, hit the "X" in the top right hand corner.

As to the horizontal menu, I don't have a problem with that as when I scroll I don't want it to disappear off the page. I guess if it becomes a real problem they might be able to move it to the right hand side.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited May 2016
    I agree it's OK to have the menus stay in view even if they block part of the chart. I suppose it could be a problem if you keep annotations like text boxes on the left side. I add bars to the end of my chart and pin text boxes there over the blank space, so it's not a problem on mine.

What I'm having a hard time getting used to is, the pointed tip of my arrow cursor is NOT the selection point when I want to work with an object. The selection point seems to be a rather wide circle around the pointed tip, and the object "lights up" when it's available to be selected. When things are close together, it can be hard to get the right object to light up.

My other quibble is, when I've clicked on something to work with, so that its handles are visible, the cursor will still light up other objects if you move the cursor way from the selected object - say you want to change a line from solid to dotted - when you come back from doing that, its easy to select a different object from the one you were working with because those other nearby things will light up and when you click again, you've selected it even though you wanted to keep working with the first item. I'd like it better if, once you select an item (expose its handles), nothing else will light up until you de-select it by clicking on dead space. I really liked the pinpoint precision of Flash. I find the inexactness and fussiness of the cursor in HTML5 kind of tiring to work with for very long.

Other than that, I think they've done a pretty remarkable job of reproducing the Flash functionality and improving some things - like exposing the line type and thickness choices instead of hiding them. Also, I appreciate that it loads and unloads the annotation mode much faster. That's a great time saver.

I'm waiting to see how the new version handles extended trend lines. I draw parallel channel lines anchored off selected highs and lows and extend them to the right edge of the chart. Sometimes the copied line (copied so it will be exactly parallel to the first line) will extend off the price area into the indicator area above or below it (in anticipation that future prices could move there). But as prices change (dropping prices from the left, adding prices to the right), so that the price scale changes, that line will move off its anchor point and sort of float in space. I'm hoping HTML5 will handle that differently.