New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Scan All time highs on Technical indicators

Hi,

i am looking to scan for all time high on technical indicators. I don't think that the "All Time High" function can be used for that. Any ideas?

Comments

• The scan engine returns only symbols, not numbers, so you could not get the all time high in OBV for, say, IBM, expressed as a number.

If you want to compare the current value of an indicator to it's highest value over some period of time, you could use the max() function with some long term parameter.
  • Hi Mark,

I tried the max function, but it doesn't seem to work well. If i am looking for a two year RSI high, will the IPOs that don't have two year data show up?
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited August 2016
    I think the answer is yes, but if you want to post your code, and maybe a little detail on what you expect to find, I'll give it a try.

I'm not sure what you mean by finding a two year high in the RSI.

If you want to know, did a two year RSI high occur in the last month it would be

// 21 day RSI high is equal to the two year RSI high
    and [max(21,RSI(14))] = max(452, RSI(14))]

That should get symbols that meet that condition (not an RSI value).

If you want to know is today's RSI a 2 year high (or equal to the best high in the 2 years, which could have occurred anytime in the past 2 years):

// today's RSI is a 2 year high
    and [RSI(14] = max(452, RSI(14))]

Is that something like what you want?
  • Hi Mark,

Something like this. Where the technicals for RSI are just built won't show up if i do a one year high on RSI. Is it possible to catch these when scanning for a one year high on RSI?

• What do you mean by "do a one year high on RSI" ?

I think I need to see your scan code to see how you are trying to implement that.

Also, are you adjusting the code or scan date to look at a particular date? For instance, it appears on your chart that the max RSI occurred on Aug 16. Did you run the scan to target that date, either in the code (e.g. by saying max21 = max251, or similar) or by using the calendar tool to make the run date Aug 16 (and the code saying RSI = max(251)?
  • Hi Mark,

I put this in the advanced scanner workbench: [daily RSI(14) = daily max(136, daily RSI(14))] and ran it for august 15 and 16th. but don't see TCMD in the list.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited August 2016
    The first day for which the scan engine returns a symbol for RSI(14) is 8/17

[type = stock]
    and [exchange is NASD]
    and [symbol starts with "TCMD"]
    and [daily RSI(14) > 0]

But if you look for = max(136,...) on 8/17, it doesn't come back. So it seems the scan engine must have data for the entire "max" period to return a result.

You could double check that with Support if you want.