New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Scanning Setup-Newbie

How would you set up scanning for the following two conditions:

1. Finding all stocks where the 3 EMA is above the 9 EMA
2. Finding all stocks where the RSI is above 60 for the past 3 days

Thank you

Answers

• markdmarkd mod
    edited August 2016
    Scan instructions are here:
    stockcharts.com/docs/doku.php?id=scans:advanced_scan_workbench

Indicator and overlay explanations are here:

stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school:technical_indicators

The first one is very simple, so I'll let you figure it out from the instructions.

The second one uses a function, so that's a little more complicated.

and [min(3, RSI(14)) > 60]
  • Read the instructions-still can't figure #1 question out-seeking to find out how to phrase "find stocks where 3ema is above 9 EMA at the close". Tried (EMA3, close) >( EMA9,close)
    and syntax checker says this line is wrong. Any help would be appreciated as this is the primary scan I want to do. Thanks
  • Use the Technical indicators drop down to add the emas to the scan. They will be in the correct format (your parentheses are out of place). Then you can edit them.

Your first line should be the stocks you want to look at. You can use the default statement that is already there.

[type = stock] AND [Daily SMA(20,Daily Volume) > 40000]

The next line has to begin with the word "and".

The condition you want to test for has to be in brackets [ ].

So the general form for a statement is:

and [ something > something]
  • Thank you for your response. I have referred to the instructions you referenced and now feel much more comfortable in constructing scans. I do have one more than I can't figure out.

Trying to scan for all stocks below -DI (23) using indicator ADX Line (W/+DI -DI)
    Thank you for all your help.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited August 2016
    I'm not sure what you mean by "stocks below -DI(23)".

Your choices in the Technical Indicator drop down are ADX Line, Minus DI and Plus DI.

They can be more or less than (above and below) each other, or more or less than some value.

So, in everyday English (in other words, skip scan code for now) what do you want below what?
  • Trying to locate stocks that have a Minus DI ADX
    Line(Default color Red) with a value of less than 23 when ADX is set at 3. In other words sorting for all stocks with a ADX Minus DI
    Line that is less than 23 when you set the ADX at 3 instead of at the dafault of (14).

Not looking for something to cross something-just to sort for stocks that chart with a Minus DI below 23 value with ADX@(3).

The purpose of course is to help sort for strength by finding those stocks graphing a
    low ADX Minus DI Line. Thanks.
  • I think you can just select Minus DI from the Technical Indicators drop down and edit it.

Select Minus DI and click Insert

Find the inserted text at the bottom of your scan (you may have to scroll down)

Change "14" to "3" for Minus DI(14)

Change "> Plus DI(14)" to "<23"

Do check syntax and run.
  • Thanks-works as I wanted. Appreciate all your help with this journey.