New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

SPX vs RUT

When comparing the $RUT to the $SPX on a perf chart, seeking to identify if small caps are leading, what do you suggest as the most relevant timeframe?

Answers

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited April 2017
    Hi @brucefleet , I would think the answer depends on your investment or trading time frame - so the longer your horizon, the the more relevant the longer time frame. But, I don't use perfcharts, so maybe some one else has a better answer.

If I could make a suggestion, I keep daily charts of SPY, IWR and IJR with Price Performance indicators (RS) enhanced by a 63 MA (idea to use the 63 MA from @BobS ).

For SPY, the RS is vs TLT, so SPY:TLT. A crossover from below to above the MA would suggest moving from bonds to stocks.

For IWR and IWJ, the RS is vs. $SPX (or SPY), so IWR:$SPX and IJR:$SPX. Likewise, the RS line crossing above the MA suggests IWR or IJR stocks are outperforming, while crossing below suggests the opposite.

The benefit of this method is you get a pretty clear signal. You could try it out in other time frames and different MAs as well.

You might also add QQQ:$SPX. The technology weighting in the NASDAQ means it does not necessarily behave in tandem with IWR or IJR.