New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Slow stochastics and MA scan

I was reading an article and landed on the above the green line website. Out of curiousity I was wondering how would I write those scans. Things that I noticed is that if the slow stochastics is crossing 20 and moving upwards, and the stock is above 250 MA then it seems to be a good sign of entry. I was wondering how in my query will I write that the stock is now cutting the 20 Stochastics line and moving upwards. I have attached a snapshot for reference. Any help how to query that would be really helpful.

Thank you
Ratul

Comments

• Also when the 10 ma is rising. Don't know how to write this rising MA or cutting the 20 line and moving upwards.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited April 2017
    See my answer to this question to get up to speed on the basics of scanning.

http://scan.stockcharts.com/discussion/1130/stochastic-crossover#latest

• Hello @markd sir. Thank you once again. So I wrote this scan. [type = stock] AND [Daily SMA(20,Daily Volume) > 40000]
    and [country is "Canada"]

and [[Slow Stoch %K(14,3) x Slow Stoch %D(14,3)]]

What I still dont know is how to write if its crossing/cutting the the 10 MA line.

And another thing is if there is any additional things I should write to the query to make it more solid then please advise. Thank you
    Ratul
  • Refined it further

[type = stock] AND [Daily SMA(20,Daily Volume) > 40000]
    and [country is "Canada"]

and [[Slow Stoch %K(14,3) x Slow Stoch %D(14,3)]]
    and
    [close x sma(10,close)]

and [close > 2 days ago high]
  • But the problem with this query is that its returning me all results which for which the stochastics line is above 50 as well. What am I doing wrong not sure.
  • Slow Stoch is an oscillator. It's possible values are 0 to 100. If you want to know whether %K or %D is greater than, less than, or crossing above ( >, < or x) some value, like 20 or 50, or 80 (which are between 0 and 100), then you would but %K or %D on one side of the operator, and some value on the oscillator scale on the other side of the operator.
  • Understood. I dont know how to write this as I am still struggling but basically if there was a way to scan for situations like these. Please look at the arrow. the stochastics line is now cutting 20 and moving upward. I want to scan at these regions mainly. I will probably add volume and MA which I am comfortable to write by myself now.

• @ratbhatt What operator would you use to express "cutting above" 20?
  • I should be perhaps using the 'x' operator no? Basically my end goal was to see if the stochastics of the stock is below 20 due to a lot of selling pressure and now its gathering strength to make an upward move.
  • If you want to wait for strength before getting a hit, you would use "x", or cross above, (%Kx20) to catch %K going back above 20 after having been below 20.

On the other hand, since %K doesn't spend much time below 20 in an up trend (usually, as in your example), you might want to scan for %K crossing below 20, in which case it would be 20x%K. - I'll let you write the full syntax.

As with any indicator, some hits fail, or don't return much, or you have to wait a long time between signals. That's normal, depending on the stock and the market.