New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Help..Please.. :-(

I am trying to put together a scan for the following...

Using Pandora (P) Weekly Chart as an example...

If you look at November 12, 2012...This is when the stock started moving up..

I am trying to scan right at that point...If you notice how from that point on the chart, every indicator turned up...

I want to catch these stocks right as they are moving up, not after they have moved up and then moved down and moved up again etc..

I have tried using over 25 different scans with no success using StockCharts.com...There has to be a simple way to scan the starting of an uptrend in all the below indicators in the exact order I have listed, bottom to top, 1 to 5 in that order...or if you think a better order would work, I am all ears.

5th - MACD - STARTING OF AN UPTREND
4th - RSI - STARTING OF AN UPTREND
3rd - Full STO - STARTING OF AN UPTREND
2nd - On Balance Vol - STARTING OF AN UPTREND
1st - Accum/Dist - STARTING OF AN UPTREND

THANK YOU SO MUCH...I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS FOR 3 WEEKS...IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!! :(

Best Answer

• markdmarkd mod
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    I think what you need to test for is that the indicators were falling in the recent past, and they are rising now. You could try to do that with the ROC function. For instance,

and [21 days ago ROC(21, OBV) < 0]
    and [ROC(21, OBV) > 0]

So that says, a month ago, OBV was lower than it was a month before that, and today, it's higher than it was a month ago.

If you require a similar condition for each indicator, and run the scan daily, you should pick up the first instance when all indicators are moving up together, provided all turn up within the scope of your parameters.

(note: the "21" parameter is just a guess - you could try others. Also, I'm not sure it would be productive to try to get them all in order, since there is likely to be some variability in the order from stock to stock. But, if you want to try, you would do it by adjusting the "days ago" parameters for BOTH conditions (longer ago for the first to turn, not quite as long ago for the second, etc.). Scanning for patterns, which is what you are doing, is much more difficult than scanning for simple things like indicator crossovers. A crossover is a discrete, easily defined event. Patterns we see with our eye are not in fact identical. Each instance develops with its own variations (like snowflakes), so one set of conditions, even if very broadly written, will rarely, if ever, catch them all. )

That said, all indicators moving in sync does not guarantee a winner like P in 2012-13. Many winners start that way, but not all stocks that start that way become winners.

Answers

• Thank you so much for your answer.

I tried your idea, I received 636 stocks and after looking at the charts, it's not right.

Deere & Co. was one of them...I had to go back to September 12, 2016 to get the uptrend I am looking for but nothing current comes up. SEE ATTACHED IMAGE

I am trying to put all the indicators together, so when the uptrend starts like in the attached chart of Deere, they all will move up together.

There has to be a scan that does this on StockCharts.com, I just do not know what to use to get the end result.

I am using the ICHIMOKU SYSTEM, does this help anyone come up with an almost perfect scan for the uptrend on every indicator?

I really appreciate your help!!!

We are all trying to make money trading but sometimes, a little help goes a long way.

Again, your answer and time is so appreciated, I can't begin to tell you.

If you or anyone else has any other ideas, I'm listening...

Have a wonderful weekend!!!

BEST OF LUCK WITH ALL YOUR TRADES!!!

KIMBERLY