New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

volume scanning

i am trying to run a scan that shows me the weekly volume for the previous closed friday is greater than the week before that by at least 1.25orMore...seems simple but i cant seem to get it. any help would be appreciated.
also, are there people who help with coding scanners for stockcharts for pay?

Comments

• It's best to run weekly scans after the close on Friday and before the open on Monday. If you run it then, the scan would be:

and [weekly volume > 1week ago weekly volume * 1.25]

If you run that scan during the week, say Wednesday during the day (meaning, while the market is open), "weekly volume" refers to the volume so far in the current week - Monday plus Tuesday plus Wednesday up to the time your run the scan (meaning, as of the last data update prior to the scan time).

But, you want the complete week prior to the current week and the week before that, so, if you run the scan mid-week it would be:

and [1 week ago weekly volume > 2 weeks ago weekly volume * 1.25]

• markd you are a tremendous source of information and i would have gladly paid you a few bucks because you took your time and explained that well to me. send me an email if you are open to help in the future...
    sohrabalborzian@gmail.com

thank you so much
  • Mark i am still having trouble because there is a particular stock that i am using the scan to test to see if it works and its in my chartlist that i am scanning ticker (TCDA)
    and if you look at last weeks volume its slightly above 4 million and the week prior to that its 3.1million which would qualify for the {greater than 1.25} but when i scan, it doesnt show up in the results. Any idea what could be going wrong?

here are the two scans i am running -

[type is stock] and [sma(20,volume) > 40000]
    and [1 week ago weekly volume > 2 weeks ago weekly volume * 1.25]
    and [favorites list is 4] // Mostly Tech & Few Random Sectors
    and [favorites list is 5] // Renewable Sustainable Energy Related
    and [favorites list is 1] // Life Sciences
    and [favorites list is 2] // Futures ETF's
    and [group is RenewableEnergyEquipment]

and [weekly volume > 1 week ago weekly volume * 1.25]
    and [favorites list is 4] // Mostly Tech & Few Random Sectors
    and [favorites list is 5] // Renewable Sustainable Energy Related
    and [favorites list is 1] // Life Sciences
    and [favorites list is 2] // Futures ETF's
    and [group is RenewableEnergyEquipment]
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited August 2020
    Your scan asks for stocks that are in ALL of your lists. Did you intend to do that? Could be the reason.

You probably want stocks that are in at least one of your lists, which requires and "or" statement:

and
    [
    [favorites list is 4] // Mostly Tech & Few Random Sectors
    or [favorites list is 5] // Renewable Sustainable Energy Related
    or [favorites list is 1] // Life Sciences
    or [favorites list is 2] // Futures ETF's
    or [group is RenewableEnergyEquipment]
    ]

and [weekly volume > 1 week ago weekly volume * 1.25]
  • thanks again