New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

What's the difference between $NYAD and $TICK ?

Best Answers

• markdmarkd mod
    edited January 2015 Answer ✓
    $TICK is the net number of issues trading up or down since the last sale; $NYAD is the net number of stocks trading up or down since the last close. So, a stock trading down since the last close can be trading up since the last sale, and vice versa.

I'm not familiar with !ADRATNYC, but from the name, it looks like it would exclude preferred stocks, trusts, partnerships, ETFs and anything else that isn't a common stock.
  • KevoKevo
    Answer ✓
    !ADRATNYC is an A-D ratio. The A-D ratio charts use a different calculation than the regular Net Advancing breadth indicators like $NYAD. This begs the question of why have the two types and whats the difference. Sounds like a new post.

I think $TICK is generally used as a contrarian indicator. Plotted as area, if greater than + or - 800 or 1000, then it could be contrarian. I also have it as cumulative, I seem to like it, but I am not sure of it's usefulness in this way.

ADR = A-D Ratio. I first thought it could mean American Depository Receipts, which means foreign originated stocks. :smiley:

NYC = I guess is NYSE Common

Not sure what AT is.
  • Answer ✓
    Hi Kevo
    Thanks very much for your thoughts on my question.
    I'm not casting any negative aspersions or anything, but perhaps the symbol catalog could do with some documentation or explanations.

There's a lot of symbols to document.
    Perhaps StockCharts could run a program to identify the top 10 most commonly used symbols and get the documentation process started that way.
    Maybe StockCharts users could be invited to help write up the documentation as a community project?

!ADRATNYC = NYSE Common Stock Only Advance-Decline Ratio
    - I interpret this to mean only operating companies listed on NYSE
    - so etfs, reits, mlps, closed end funds would not be included
    - I'm not so sure about ADRs
    - which supports my point about documentation.

Cheers ... Peter
  • KevoKevo
    Answer ✓
    There is documentation on certain types of symbols. This is a relatively new area of ChartSchool. You can find it here:

Index and Market Indicator Catalog

I know the feeling regarding all the myriad of symbols in the catalog and the lack of documentation. Keep in mind that many of the symbols are proprietary and documentation likely could be found on the owner's website.

In the case of !ADRATNYC, this is most likely a DecisionPoint index.
  • gordgord admin
    Answer ✓
    Chip announced several new improvements on the list for 2015 in the ChartWatchers news letter Jan 4, 2015.

"Index and Market Indicator Improvements - We will be greatly expanding the documentation for all of our indexes and market indicators (i.e., the symbols that start with "$" or "!"). We will also continue to improve the accuracy and historical data for those symbols as well."

http://stockcharts.com/articles/chartwatchers/2015/01/looking-forward-to-2015.html

Answers

• I'm a newbie here.
    I inevitably posted my question on $NYAD and $TICK before I could finish typing.
    Thanks in advance to any kind soul out there who can help me figure out the difference among these 3 symbols:
    $TICK
    $NYAD
    !ADRATNYC

In particular, the Daily Chart of !ADRATNYC and $TICK should give the same values.
    But they do not.

Thanks & Cheers ... Peter
  • Hi markd
    Thanks very much for your kind clarification.
    Cheers ... Peter
  • @markd I still don't know the meaning.
    You said, "$TICK is the net number of issues trading up or down since the last sale"
    What is the last sale, for a daily chart, last sale is yesterday's close ? am I right?
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited June 2017
    @GaryArmani It might have been clearer had I said "up or down since the most recent prior sale".

$TICK is a micro measure of change. It looks back only one transaction. If the most recent transaction, at say 10:51:23, is higher than the immediately prior transaction, at say 10:51:22, then that transaction adds to $TICK. It doesn't know anything about yesterday's close, because that was hundreds or thousands of transactions ago.

$NYAD compares each intraday transaction to yesterday's close. It doesn't look at the prior transaction just moments ago. As long as the current transaction is above yesterday's close, it counts as an one advance.

So, if you are looking at a daily chart you see only the closing value for each index. $NYAD counts the number of closes higher/lower than the prior close. $TICK counts the number of higher/lower transactions on the very last tick of the day versus the immediately prior tick for every stock on the exchange. So, you can have stocks which are down versus the prior close, but up on the last tick.

• I should have said, each index calculates the net, not the number.
  • Thank you very much. @markd
  • I have a similar problem with understanding above concepts this healthy conversation between you people helped me to solve it, Thank you .