New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Scanning and ranking by ATR%

I would like to
1 - create a scan of ATR(14) divided by price to show the ATR% of selected stocks in a column in the SUMMARY.
Then I would like to
2 - rank them them by [ATR(14)/close] from HI to LO.....so Utilities would be low at around 2% while juniors and 2x ETF's might be above 5-8%
How do I build than syntax to get it to show the ATR% in a column on the SUMMARY?
I would also like to create (or include) another scan which would show ATR(3) > ATR(14)...to identify upward expansion of volatility.
Bollinger Bands only take the close into account so range expansion prior to rising close prices doesn't get captured.
Thank you kindly.

Answers

• You can get calculated values only by including a rank by statement. The scan engine returns symbols, not values, so the only way to see those values is by including a rank by statement in the scan. Also note that once you save the symbols to a list, the rank by values are lost.

[group is sp500] // or whatever you want.

rank by [ATR(14)/close]

This seems to work even though the syntax checker says it's not syntactically correct. However, I did not verify the results.

The second scan would go like this, and returns symbols only

[group is sp500]

and [ATR(3) > ATR(14)]