New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Scanning for a Not Condition

What is the correct way to scan for a negative or not condition?

In the attached example, I was trying to filter out stocks included in the SP500 starting from a pre-defined Favorites List and getting erroneous results on both attempts:

[TYPE IS STOCK] AND [FAVORITES LIST IS 215] AND [GROUP IS NOT SP500]

OR

[TYPE IS STOCK] AND [FAVORITES LIST IS 215] AND [GROUP != SP500]

Any tips would be appreciated.

Answers

• Options
    Your first example is the correct way to do it, the math operator != does not work the the text field of "Group is ---"

[TYPE IS STOCK] AND [FAVORITES LIST IS 215] AND [GROUP IS NOT SP500]

Not sure what kind of erroneous results you are getting, it might be something else in the scan causing the problem. If you can post the whole scan we'll take a look.
  • Options
    first formulation works for me (my own list of course).

I put the sp500 condition after type is stock, then selected my list and inserted from the "Chart List" drop down. Order shouldn't matter. But selecting and inserting from the list should guarantee correct syntax, if you are not doing that. If you are typing in the text manually, there may be something quirky happening that would be hard to discover.

Another possibility - are you sure you have an up to date list of sp500 membership? It does change from time to time, either from substitutions by SP or mergers and buyouts.