New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Inverting price charts

What's good in inverting price charts by adding a minus in front of the symbol when my indicator I place behind the price charts does not reverse.

Answers

• Price Charts
  • And the answer is "Price Charts", not sure I quite understand that one, maybe just an unexpected post.

Now as for Minus Symbol charts [-] {Symbol], I've only played around for an hour, but my first impression is I prefer the $ONE:[Symbol] ratio. The ratio also inverts the overlays and indicators, the trends are correct although the numbers are meaningless.

I agree with you, not sure I've figured out this one yet. It's a special tool if you want to look at the mirror image of a chart around the zero price line.
  • KevoKevo
    edited March 2015
    @gord, I think @daniel_fromcebu was simply capitalizing "Price Charts". @gord, It took me some time to figure out your first line comment.

I think the Minus symbol is mainly for $VIX, or indexes/indicators that cross zero. I think you may have mentioned this topic in some post a long time ago before the Minus Symbol came into being when discussing $ONE and what happens as it approaches zero.

I am surprised there was enough demand to develop this feature.

@daniel_fromcebu: The Minus symbol should not be intended to replace the conventional view of a symbol. Thus, the indicators do not invert.

My question would be: how are the calculations different? Minus symbol vs. using $ONE in a Ratio Chart.
  • edited March 2015
    Thanks Gord and Kevo. If somebody can shed some light on how to use this feature I will appreciate it so much in regards to stock trading.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited March 2015
    I think one use for inverted charts is to learn to recognize reversal patterns in both directions. If you are a long player, you may have developed a knack for seeing when the rally is weakening and it's time to get out, but you may have a problem picking out when a decline is finishing up and it's ok to get in (or vice versa). By reversing the chart, you see declines as rallies, so they seem to make more intuitive sense. Inversions might be helpful also if you have negative emotions associated with either rallies or declines, and positive emotions for the opposite move. By inverting the chart, suddenly you see the move you fear with positive emotions! It changes how you look at things. Sort of a Jedi mind trick :)

In one of Jack Shwager's books on market wizards, he visits one wizard who has a habit of turning charts upside down to figure out what is going on. So there could be something to it.
  • Thanks Markd. Well said
  • ekwongekwong
    edited March 2015
    Non-inverted chart on QID

Inverted chart on QID

$one:QID