New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Adding industry info to chart

Hi, all.

Is there a way I can customize my chart to include the industry or sector of a given stock? Right now I am going back and forth between my saved scan results that displays this info and the actual chart.'
Thanks ahead,

Comments

• Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    $Symbol
    $Industry
    $Sector
    are ways to pull the data automatically

So you could put an Indicator called Price or Price Performance on your customized chart and put $Industry in the parameter box. Click Update and now the DJ industry group, if any, associated with your symbol is displayed. Same with $Sector.

You can even do comparative or relative strength display by putting $Symbol:$Sector in the parameter box. or you can put $Industry instead of $Sector. Or $Industry:$Sector

If your Legends is set to Default, the symbols will be displayed but not the names. If you set to Verbose, then the Names will be displayed but not the symbol. If set to Minimal, the symbols but not the names will be displayed.
  • Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited April 2020
    Here's an example chart to complement @lmkwin 's comprehensive answer:

Top window is $SECTOR:$SPX
    next is $INDUSTRY:$SECTOR
    next is $SYMBOL:$INDUSTRY

I've added long term MAs - 63 (green) and 251 (gold). This is a cherry picked example of RS crossing over the 63 MA (in this case) being a prelude or confirmation of a good run to come. Naturally, it doesn't always work out this way.

$SYMBOL:$INDUSTRY gets below the 63 in November, then gets above it in December and stays there. Notice this happens while the $INDUSTRY:$SECTOR RS is still below its 63 MA and then follows the stock in January. So this was a leading stock in its industry at the time (in spite of the nearly 3 month decline).

Note the RS values will vary depending on the chart's starting point, but the patterns (rising and falling) will be analogous (in synch) regardless of the starting point.
  • Options
    Apologies for late response and thank you very much for this information. Mike.