New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Entering stock screen...?

I have become a new member today and I am excited to use the service. In particular, I would like to use the stock screener. I have played around with it but I want to be for sure I am scanning correctly. 

How would I type in the following 

Us stocks 

Volume above 1000000 

One month (Approximately 21 day) sma above 10 month (approx 210 days) sma 

If possible ...also

Earnings per share above .00 

P/E below 30 

Share price above $2.00 

Thanks for the help...I’ve done the us stocks portion, however, these other elements are beyond my experience level.

With Appreciation,

A.Moore

Answers

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited January 2021
    The new scan workbench allows you to select your scan conditions from the drop downs below the scan writing window. Often you will need to edit the values or the parameters for your own needs, but you don't have to guess at the syntax very much at all.

Since you wouldn't learn anything if one of us just wrote the scan for you, I would recommend you invest some time with the extensive scanning documentation available in chart school. There are step by step instructions, and videos and also many pre-written scans you can use directly or edit to suit.

The scan language may appear intimidating at first, but it is very close to natural language, except for a few syntax requirements. There are none of the complications of "real" programming, so just dive right in.

You could begin with the Chart School page, where scanning resources are linked at the bottom of the page, or you can just jump in here:

https://support.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=scans:tutorials:writing_basic

Start small to get a feel for it. Then add conditions as you need them.

If you get stuck, post the code you have put together so far and explain what it doesn't do that you need.

• Options
    moore4education, Well, you probably got the answer you were looking for, by now. but, i thought i'd test myself to see if I could figure it out, as a novice in writing Scans, myself, and also someone else might benefit from the answer that you were looking for.
  • Options
    [type = stock] AND [country is US] AND [Volume > 1000000] AND [Today's SMA(21) > Today's SMA(210)] AND [PE ratio < 30] AND [EPS > 0.00] AND [Close > 2.00]

// add This, for 'Average' Daily Volume... i think??: AND [Daily SMA(20,Daily Volume) > 1000000]
  • Options
    i think that is right, at least. Only 1 way to Find-out.
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    Looks like that passes the syntax check.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can add another line to the code to view in the results page.

A Rank By statement can be placed as the last line of the scan to sort the results

rank by [PE ratio] for example

will show the results of the scan in descending PE ratio. It will also display the PE ratio in the last column of the results. If you want ascending order, you can click on that last column header to change the sort order, or change the rank by to rank by [PE ratio] ascending

Using PctRelative as your rank by is a good option to see relative performance, if that is important to you. There are a lot of fields you can choose from in the workbench.

Rank by rules: Last line of the scan. No AND in front of it. No math operators like x greater than y.
    If you choose PnF Chart In Xs is true. It will display the rank by column data but it won't be correct. If you remove the 'is true' it will display the correct data. In this case, it will display the true/false data as 1 for true and 0 for false.

The rank by shows a data point in the database. So you can use x days ago in front of the field used.
    If you don't get see a 'rank by' column in the results page (volume will be the last column by default) then your rank by statement didn't execute. Probably due to formatting of the line. The Check Syntax will usually not throw an error for issues within the rank by. Fix the syntax information in your rank by and run the scan again.

If you get stuck, copy and paste your code and ask the forum for help.