New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Second stock Overlay

Hi Folks...
This is a great community of brilliant minds.
However navigating the bells and whistles on the Stockcharts Swiss Army knife is a taking away time from trading and from having a life.
I hope someone has already invented the following wheel and can share:
Question:
How would I overlay one stock over another to VISUALLY see if one is a leading indicator for timing turns in the 2nd one?
For example...
1 - an ETF overlaid on one of the stocks in the ETF...OR
2 - a commodity ETF overlaid on a stock producing same commodity...OR
3 - one asset class ETF over another
I can do this in my Bank's charting software and on Investing.com...but how to do it in Stockcharts?
The "Correlation" function does not tell me this...and the "PRICE (same scale)" function is useless for a visual comparison of turning points.
This would need a function like the PRICE (same scale) function ...but without the "(same scale)".
Thank you kindly for taking a moment to help.
Cheers
TK

Best Answers

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    I think probably what you want is to put one symbol on the main chart (for instance, type AAPL in the Symbol window at the top right of the Chart Workbench page), and for the second select "Price" from the Indicators column below the chart, and type in the second symbol (for instance $SPX) in the "Parameter" column next to Price, and then select "Behind Price" from the "Position" column next to the second symbol.

That should put AAPL on the chart, probably in Candlestick, or your default style, and $SPX in Line style overlaying the AAPL bars. You can modify the $SPX line to one of the available styles in the Style column back in the Indicator section. If you don't see the Style column, click on the green diamond next to "Advanced Options" next to the Positions column.

You can add as many overlaid symbols as your subscription allows (when combined with other indicators, but still probably as many as you would need).
  • Options
    jailgenjailgen
    Answer ✓
    Top of Dashboard page, put in stock symbol. Then enter additional symbols separated by commas.
    This works for quick comparisons.

Answers

• Options
    Thanks Mark...Perfect answer...that is exactly the droid I was searching for. ..LOL.
    The Stockchart website has a huge warren of rabbit holes.
    Please remind me where I would find the number of overlaid symbols my "EXTRA" subscription permits.
  • Options
    On the member page, click on your name, click "your account", click "change service level".
  • Options
    Investing.com appears to show a Performance type chart when you add the comparison symbol for the overlay. I'm not a member there and don't know the chart type that you use there. To replicate this on StockCharts.com, put Symbol AAPL in the Symbol box. Change the chart Type to Performance. Add Price (Same Scale) overlay with the ETF or whatever you choose as the parameter.

On SC you have to reverse the shading on the Performance chart so the other price can be shaded if desired by making it a Histogram or Area. I also added the Price Performance indicator at the bottom with $Symbol:$Sector as the parameter, and Histogram as the style. Also added a Red Horizontal Line overlay on that panel with 0:Red as the parameter.

• Options
    Thank you lmkwin..that's perfect.
  • Options
    Excellent point @jailgen. That may or may not work as desired though depending on your default settings on the charts though. You may have to click the dropdown on the dashboard list to select Perf Chart.

You can also access the Perf Chart from any SharpChart by clicking on the Perf Chart link at the bottom of the chart page.

Another option that some people may like is the RRG chart, where you can also set up a list of symbols, separated by commas, and compare them against another symbol. They also have long list of predefined groups there to select from. You can add your desired symbol(s) there as well as set the Benchmark of choice to compare against.