New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

In my "learn something new" series.

I was getting no results whenever I'd put the CMF indicator into a scan. I flipped over to the Predefined Scans page as they have a scan for Improving Chaikin Money Flow. There is zero results showing for the stock indexes when I checked as well. I sent a message to support and they responded

Thank you for contacting us. You cannot scan for volume-based indicators, like CMF, during trading hours. Their data isn't available for charting nor scanning at that time. There's more information on why posted here:
https://support.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=faqs:why_arent_my_volume_based_indicators_updating

Please let me know if you have any other questions or comments about our website.

I then followed the link, which talks about the chart updating. Not much help there but then I went to the CMF in ChartSchool and at the bottom of the page there is a note.

Note: For the purposes of scanning, daily volume data is incomplete during the trading day. When running scans with volume-based indicators like CMF, be sure to base the scan on the “Last Market Close.” Examples of other volume-based indicators include Accumulation/Distribution, On Balance Volume, and the PVO.

I had never noticed this before. Of course, I don't use any of those other 'volume based' indicators in my scans but word to the wise, if you run a scan during the trading day, and you get zero results, check for a 'volume Based Indicator' in your scan.

Comments

• Options
    I had always wished that they would use the last (whole) trading day, by Default. Rather than Today's Close... etc. That's just me. It would solve all of these problems.
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    A mention like (* only run EOD) next to the ones that require EOD scan requirement would suffice. Especially the ones that will kill a scan if using the last intraday update period.
  • Options
    that would work too