New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

IBD is showing two nature pictures

from the front page of their website

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm. Wonder what it means.
  • Options
    Maybe doing a cross promotion of Bear Week on Animal Planet or something like Shark Week. They look like friendly bears.
  • Options
    New animal picture on IBD

• Options
    Hmm. He's behind bars. Is it a secret message?
  • Options
    Also only three legs and one eye showing. I think that it may be a secret message. But to whom? And what is it?
  • Options
    A picture of a bear today. Looks pensive

• Options
    Well, last time he was lying down. This time he's on his feet. Next time he'll be at full gallop?
  • Options
    looks like he may be thinking about turning around and going back up the hill.
  • Options
    The bull is tired

• Options
    It's a bear, and a bear with horns

• Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    Bear market? I certainly don't think so at this point. If we take a 20% drop to mean entering bear market, there is a lot more to go before even starting the discussion. And if it happens quickly, it usuall resolves in the same manner. Or is it a normal and expected pullback? They happen in bull markets and there is still a lot more to go before we get there.

The monthly chart for $SPX with a 10% zigzag line added

• Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    Oh my. This is getting scary!!! :D Look at that BEAR!!!!

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited April 22
    A full 20% correction would be 4266 on the SP500 (based on the emini sp500 june contract), just below the starting low of the October - April up leg. A retracement to fib 62 of the October up leg would be 4660. Fib 62 (61.8) is a common retracement level. The fib 62 could be the target of a first down leg, and the October low a possible second down leg target.

But, based on the chart, a more likely target of the current down leg is the October up leg fib 50 retracement level at 4788, which coincides pretty closely with the July peak around 4800 (past peaks - i.e. broken resistance, become support). Whether we go into a bear would be determined by the up leg(s) from that point. If they don't make a new high before retracing below support, the market would usually go lower.

Not that I would take any position based on any of these observations, but fun to speculate.
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    I get a kick out of the headlines and pictures they throw out there to try and get attention The Great Bear Phase of Q2.

Nice thing about PnF charts is that you can put a SMA 1 on them and the line will bisect each column.
    Current Traditional scale PnF chart with all of the High Pole Columns highlighted at the High Pole Warning level. A High Pole Warning is an 50% retracement of the X column. Note the difference in appearance betwen the bear market in 2022 and the current bull market

For added reference, the prior bear market in 2020 produced a series of High Pole Columns. Most retraced a certain extent, which is normal and to be expected. When you see a High Pole Column, it rarely makes sense to initiate positions until the retracement is shown. The retracement may show on a different scale, but it's usually there upon review of the charts.