New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Scanning To Include American Depositary Receipt (ADR)

Hi,

I've put an advanced scan together on stockcharts but noticed some non-american stocks weren't being included.

Have just got search criteria as [type is stock] but can't seem to find the syntax for ADRs?

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Options
    I'd ask what symbol(s) are you thinking should be coming up? Then look at if the symbol is showing in StockCharts using lookup. If it is, then there must be something else in your scan that is excluding it. The ADR's are treated as stocks. But, if it's not a symbol in the StockCharts library, it's not going to show up in a scan.
  • Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited October 2023
    The glossary says this

American Depository Receipt (ADR)

Securities issued by commercial banks that represent the shares of a foreign company. ADRs trade just like normal stocks on various US stock exchanges. Their performance usually parallels that of the parent company on its domestic exchange. StockCharts.com does not have access to ADR data.

Here's a link to an NYSE list of ADRs

https://www.nyse.com/publicdocs/nyse/data/CurListofallStocks.pdf

However, it's really a list of foreign companies trading on the NYSE, some listed as common stocks, others as ADRs. Which is which is listed in the "share type" column to the far right.

"O" appears to be common stock, "A" is ADR. However, at least some of the "A" symbols do appear in Stockcharts as charts. But the Stockcharts chart database and the scan database are different. So maybe ask Support if you find a chart but it doesn't show up in a scan that should pick it up.

P.S. it's a PDF, you have to zoom to read it.
  • Options
    Some ATR's are 'pink sheet' listed securities as well, so if your scan includes an Exchange filter it would be limiting selections as well.

• Options
    Thanks for the answers everyone, stock in question was ChinaData Group (CD). I do have it limited to NYSE/NASDAQ as well so potentially something there. I'll have a mess around with it and see if anything else is limiting me
  • Options
    CD showed up in one of my scheduled scans and resulting chartlist after it showed a Dynamic CSS Pattern back in 2022. It appears to be a NASDAQ listing.