New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Technical Indicators

Anyone know if the 'Extra' plan offers the following (3) for charting ? VWOP , Heiken-Ashi 'smoothed', and Moving Avg. 'smoothed'

Comments

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited November 2023
    This page documents existing indicators. As far as I know, all indicators on this page are available at all subscription levels. I haven't checked whether all are available both SharpCharts and ACP.

https://school.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=technical_indicators

This page is a guide to free and paid plug ins for the ACP charts.

https://stockcharts.com/marketplace/acp/
  • Options
    If Anyone bought my Stock ZJYL that I mentioned previously, u might want to get ready to Sell very soon. It is up Another 33%+ today.
  • Options
    Happy holidays, in Advance everyone. Heading off to Bali.
  • Options
    I'd say NO to "VWOP", No to "Heiken-Ashi Smoothed" and No to "Moving Avg Smoothed".

The access to indicators doesn't change with subscription levels. I believe that it's the amount of indicators you can add to a chart that does.

You can display a chart as Heiken Ashi but the indicators are based on normal prices and not HA prices and bars. So the MA (the smoothed part of it) is based on the regular prices.

VWAP is available in on intraday chart time frames but you can't scan on it. You also have Anchored VWAP avaiable on all time frames on the ACP charts, but no scanning available on that.

MA Smoothed is not an option but you have many other options for MA's that should effectively get you close enough. On ACP there are more MA's available for display than on the SharpCharts and they are available for scanning in the scan workbench. MA's for display on the sharpcharts are EMA, SMA, and KAMA.

• Options
    SofearnotSofearnot
    edited November 2023
    Also, Sell BDRX. It is Up 90.68% today and is the no. 1 on the Exchange today I don't see much more gain for that Stock)
  • Options
    I can Confirm, it doesn't have those in Extra Package. Heiken Ashi, although it smooths the Data, it does this at a cost of being Delayed signals. So, it is good to use ONLY if you are a long-term trader Set-and-forget type. They offer Heiken Ashi but not Heiken Ashi smoothed. You can smooth it by Applying a moving average. there is no VWOP but there is VWAP and you can smooth that also by applying a moving average, to it. Hope this Helps.
  • Options
    On my Daily Chartlists i have the these settings for the following indicators below.
    RSI(14)
    ADX(14)
    ATR(14)
    EMV(14)
    PPO(12,26,9)
    Slo STO %K (14)
    CMF(20)
    BB width (20,2,0)
    AROON(25)
    CCI(20)
    Slope(20)
    I have looked at the ChartSchool articles but still not sure what settings to use for these indicators when I use the Weekly setting. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Kent
  • Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited December 2023
    I think the leading notion about indicators is that, since the markets are fractal, that is, patterns or behaviors repeat in different time frames, you can use the same parameters for daily, weekly, monthly or even hourly, 5 minute and 1 minute time frames.

On the other hand, most default settings were derived from statistical analysis from a reasonably large sample of data (if the developer was conscientious). Maybe they were tested in various time frames, maybe not. In any case, while the statistical approach is methodical, it is not really scientific in the sense that you can control variables and duplicate experimental results. So indicators do not capture true cause/effect events. Its more like indicator signals more or less correlate with price events. Sometimes. Also, markets are variable over time so different samples from different time windows of different lengths could produce different results. In other words, the default parameter chosen from a more current sample might be different from the default chosen by the authors of the indicator way back when. Also, indicators are most likely to "work" best on very liquid, larger cap stocks (the kind that could qualify for an index, whether they actually have or not) where there is a sufficiently diverse "crowd" and less so on smaller, less liquid issues.

The bottom line is, you should take default parameters as suggestions, not rules written in stone. Experiment with different parameters and see how closely the indicator signals coincide with tradable changes in price direction. You might be surprised.
  • Options
    tks.will do
  • Options
    The scan below works but does anyone know how I can add Open > 2 days ago then Open > 3 days ago?

[type is stock] and [sma(20,volume) > 40000]
    and [Open > yesterday open]
  • Options
    just as you wrote it:

and [open > 1 day ago open]
    and [open > 2 days ago open]
    and [open > 3 days ago open]

There is more on date modifiers here, about half way down the page:

https://support.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=scans:advanced_scan_syntax
  • Options
    Thanks so much