New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Adjust Chart While Annotating?

Hi All,
Normally I'm able to adjust the price area of a chart by clicking and dragging it around.

This capability goes away while annotating (let's say drawing a trendline). If I want to adjust the chart I have to close the annotation tool, adjust, then come back in. Not ideal.

Any way around this, i.e. while annotating, still be able to move the chart around for preference? I tried various forms of ctrl/alt/shift-click etc. but no luck.

Thanks,
Howard

Answers

• Options
    Are you asking about the ACP platform or the SharpCharts platform?
  • Options
    Sorry, should have specified ACP, although from what I've seen SharpCharts doesn't provide click-and-drag in any case.

Thanks
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Thanks for the clarification. You are correct, in SharpCharts you are annotating a static view.

I don't spend much time in ACP, but I went and tried this test. I put in a Symbol and used the scroll wheel to expand and shrink the time frame.

I then clicked on the Annotate tool Icon and then added a Trendline to the chart. I then scrolled and the time frame moved and the Annotation remained in position as the time frame changed.

I was also able to drag the chart left and right and the trendline remained in place.

IF I leave the current annotation setting open, then I can only scroll. If I close the current Annotation and get back to the main Annotation pane, I can scroll AND drag.

I don't know if this makes any sense or answers your question, but it appears that you have to close out of the current annotation you added by clicking the X at the top right of the settings.

I added the Rectangle and wasn't able to drag until I closed the Rectangle settings. I was able to scroll but not drag with that open.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Appreciate you taking the time. Yes the behavior you observed is what I was asking about. Ideally you wouldn't have to close the annotation in order to adjust the price area of the chart to taste, but it doesn't seem possible.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    You can put a suggestion into StockCharts.com support to see if they can accomplish it. Click on the Help in the upper right of your StockCharts.com page

Then click on the Contact Support, and give them your suggestion (as detailed as possible)

Then sit back and wait for the magic to happen..... or not.

• Options
    Although I really don't use annotation much in my processes, I'm giving a thumbs up and one gold star to ACP Annotation capabilities. Much nicer to use over SharpCharts annotation. Of course, you can't save an ACP annotated chart into a SharpCharts list, so it only gets the one thumb and star at this point.
  • Options
    ACP brings stockcharts into the current generation of charting tools. Still a long way to go vs the higher bar set by competitors but a massive and necessary leap over SharpCharts.
    IMO.
  • Options
    If you like it, that's all that matters. I don't know about the comparison with "competitors" but the ACP platform is certainly one that most of the blog authors and stockcharts TV shows don't use to represent their charting insights. Unless they are trying to sell an ACP Add-on, ACP is still a minority that show it in their presentations. I do like the multiple time period capabilities on ACP as well.

To me, the clicking and scrolling are fraught with peril. Too easy to mess up and not know you did.
    For example, I can drag a chart to the right, moving the current period off the screen. Or I can inadvertently click on a chart and move it. Ooops. There's nothing on the chart that says what the period is or that the current period is not on the screen. Now when I enter another symbol, the chart remains as it was, current period off the screen to the right due to an inadvertent click and slight movement.

Also the Trash Cans are too close to the other icons, in my opinion, and a slight misclick is the difference between changing the settings of something you wanted to adjust and use, to removing it and then having to find it and place it again to use it.

I know some are fans of ACP. If you like it, that's all that matters.