New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Changes Rolling Out in SharpCharts : Scan Results page

lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
edited January 23 in Scanning
They have started implementing changes to the SharpCharts platform. One that you may notice is the Scan Results page. You get there by.... running a scan.

On this page there are now a few new options showing above the results.

Summary is the 'standard' view that we are familiar with. If you hover over a symbol it will still show the 1 year mini chart for that symbol.
SharpCharts button will display the results using your default sharpchart.
CandleGlance button displays the results using the default 2 month candleglance chart.

Comments

• Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited January 31
    Got an email on Friday saying that they were going to be rolling out big changes this week. I've only noticed the scan results page change I mentioned earlier. The week is a long way from being over yet though.

Something else I just noticed about THAT change. I mentioned that the SharpCharts button will display your 'default' chartstyle for the list. It apparently only like daily chartstyles. My 'default SharpChart is a Weekly chart with indicators designed for my weekly view purposes. The scan results page takes my default weekly chartstyle and displays it as a daily chart in the results. So my indicator settings are a little different on my daily styles vs weekly. Not the end of the world, just something to note.

• Options
    I should mention that ATRP is an ACP ONLY indicator but it is available as a filter in the Technical Indictors dropdown on the Scan Workbench.

ATRP converts the ATR into a percentage of the price. This allows you to compare accross various price ranges to find where ATR volatility is. Similar to BB Width, it allows a view into expanding and contracting volatility. I haven't tested it in a scan as yet but volatility is often a good thing to be aware of.

https://school.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=technical_indicators:average_true_range_atr

They added the ATRP information into the ATR ChartSchool help section but didn't review the entire section for continuity or accuracy.
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited February 8
    Interesting nuance in the Chartlist CandleGlance view. Previously, if you had a custom CandleGlance chartstyle and used it in CandleGlance view the "Add Indicator" was grayed out. This meant that you couldn't use the additional functionality of sorting the CandleGlance view by the additional indicator.

Now, it is no longer grayed out and is appears to be available for use. The thing that I'm noticing about it, is that you can set your Additional Indicator and Sort option, but you need to click back to one of the standard Chart Durations for the sort to actually work correctly. You can then change to the Custom Style and it will display your custom CandleGlance Style chart in that sorted order.

I like the additional functionality. You just have to remember to flip to a standard "Chart Duration" to actually sort, then change to your Custom Style chart.
  • Options
    ChartLists Summary View
    They added a 2nd decimal place on the SCTR column but it appears that SCTR only calculates to 1 decimal so all the 2nd decimals are zero.
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited February 9
    might be dealing with the issue?

they are definitely having speed issues in general. Hope they figure that out quick.
  • Options
    SBNY now has a 99.9 SCTR rating

• Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited February 21
    Just ran into an issue on the Importing/Uploading of a chartlist in Edit view.

I get the following message. I have imported hundreds of times, but this is the first time since the system update. I reported it to Support to see what is up.

I saved the CSV named positions. It put the .csv in the file name it's importing/uploading. So, it sees it correctly apparently but it doesn't like it for some reason.

edit: I did get a response from Support

Thank you for contacting us.

Our development team is aware of the issue, and is working on a solution. Thank you for your patience in the meantime.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or comments about our website.
  • Options
    I also asked if they could address the speed issues occurring, particularly when working with chartlists over 100 symbols long. Used to be like lightening. Now, it can take minutes to copy, or merge, or number in sorted order, remove numbered order, etc.

Grayson said that nothing would change in the classic SharpCharts platform that we all know and love. Well, turns out that wasn't true.
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited February 26
    They must be putting out a lot of fires as they still haven't fixed the Import CSV issue.

I only use the Classic SharpCharts but the latest update has effected/ infected the tried and true and quick and versatile part of StockCharts.com that we all know and love. The Team broke it.

I recall something like this happening to the Dorsey Wright website a few years ago. They took a perfect site and then 'updated' it to smithereens. What was instantaeous took 30 seconds to a few minutes to do. And sometimes, it just never completed and "timed out". Took them several months to figure it out and get back to some form of normalcy.

I'm a thinkorswim user also, and do many custom indicators using the thinkscript. It's very versatile and fast. We'll see, once it's pulled over to the Schwab platform, if that changes too. I'm in the last batch of accounts to be pulled in from TD Ameritrade to Schwab because of their issues with integrating the TOS platform.

But hey, we have a new MarketCarpet facade.
  • Options
    Classic SharpCharts processing is really messed up in my experience. Particularly when working with Chartlists. I have encountered so many issues doing what was fast and easy before the update. I've been reporting the problems and often get a response back thanking me for noticing the issue and bringing it their attention. I have had issues with creating, merging, importing, copying, deleting, sorting, and rendering. Pretty much everything that was quick and easy has changed.

Today I get a message when opening a chartlist in CandleGlance view.

The other day, StockCharts.com used all of the available resources on my PC processor and locked it up. NEVER had any major issues with StockCharts prior to the update. You used to be able to do a numbering sort of a chartlist to several levels. Meaning that you could save a chartlist in sorted order in Summary View. The system would put 4 character numbers in front of the name field in the chartlist. You could then re-sort that list and re-save in sorted order and it would add another 4 character numbers to the list. You can't do that now. Only 1 set of numbering allowed, and it takes a while to do that. You can actually watch the renumbering in action as it works its way down the list.

I don't have high hopes of them getting this fixed at all. I'll give it some more time before I lament on how it "used to be a great platform".

• Options
    They rolled out the new version too soon. I see many basic user interface, formatting types of issues that should have been obvious during the beta testing phase. Examples - a) setting yellow stars for default do not stick, etc. Many of these. That said .. they will eventually get them fixed.

The current new version is not an improvement over the old one. However, I think they rewrote the basic program from scratch so they have a solid foundation to propell to something much better in the future.
  • Options
    The speed is killing me. Computers are supposed to be faster than I am.

Pro Tip: Clear your cache. Once I do that, all my troubles will seem so far away.
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited March 12
    Well, I noticed that the Chartlist issues are getting a lot better this afternoon. They had an odd display going in Summary view for much of the day and now it's back to corrected, and it appears the numbering in sorted order is back to bullet fast. I'll have to check on some of the glaring issues I've noticed since the update to see if those are fixed, but it's very encouraging to see what I saw a few minutes ago.

edit: OK, maybe not bullet fast on longer chartlists. But hoping that the fixes keep on rolling in.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update. Good to know they are on it.
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    Had an odd thing happen on one of my chartlists. Must have been effected by timing of an update or something. System replaced spaces with %20 on an existing chartlist. I noticed when I ran a scan and merged the results to the existing list. You can see the merged new symbols vs the existing symbols.

I haven't seen this on other lists that I do a similar process with so I'm assuming a one off, but just sharing.
  • Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited April 7
    looks like somebody maybe coded an ascii character(s) incorrectly so its substituting "%20" for " " spaces. Or a text conversion tool is using the wrong character set.
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    From time to time, I see something like this happen on Symbol names that have an apostrophe. So it will fill in

BJ - BJ's Wholesale Club Holdings, Inc.

as

BJ - BJ%27s Wholesale Club Holdings, Inc.