New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

AUTOMATE EXPORT OF SCAN RESULTS

Hello Everyone

First Post here. Not a newbie to trading, charts, and Technical Analysis but new to the forum.

I wanted to get feedback from other users.

Does anyone have tips on how to go about automating an export of your scan results on a daily basis into an excel file? Any particular tools you recommended?

I have me scan results emailed to me each day, but then I manually copy and paste them into a spreadsheet. Would like to eliminate that daily monkey work if possible.

Thanks and appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited February 17
    I'm not aware of a method of automating the running and downloading of scans, other than emailing.

Excel allows you to record macros - turn on recording, do the steps to import the file, then turn off recording. Give the macro a name and click on it the next time you want to import a file. However, the file has to have the same name and be in the same location each time. The macros create a VBA file (a text file that is the code that the macro executes). You can customize the macros in VBA, but there is a learning curve to that.

If you have more than one file, you can create a macro for each one. Each file would have to have a unique name, and it would have to be the same everyday. And you would probably have to maintain the email destination (or destination you copy the email files) by removing or renaming the previous day's files.

I don't remember if you can write a macro of macros - i.e. turn on macro recording, run each macro in turn, turn off recording. You can do that in VBA - that is, put the smaller VBA routines (created by the macros) into a 'master' VBA routine and run the master routine each time.

If you manipulate the downloaded data once it's in Excel, automating that part could be tricky, since the data will be variable - different number of rows each time. If you try it, think of what could be the maximum number of rows, and do your Excel steps as if you were working with that much data (i.e. include blank rows).

There is ton of on-line Excel and VBA guidance. It helps, but might not be necessary, to have some level of programming experience.
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited March 18
    Another thought on this is that you can export Alert results notification to CSV in one step. You can't with a Scan results notification.

An Alert and a Scan are set up in a similar manner.

The Scan will notify you with a button to "View Results in Chartlist". When you click on that it takes you into ChartList Summary view, which includes all the holdings of the chartlist. Your notification could be a subset of that list depending on how your scan is set up.

The Alert will notify you to "View All Results". When you click on that it takes you to a screen view with 3 options. You can Download the results to CSV with a click of the button.

I suggest that you set up the Alert with the same coding and same name as the Scan. Just so you can keep them straight in your mind. A caveat. If you change either coding, it does NOT change or update the other.

If might be a good option in your instance to knock a step or two off your process?