New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

SCTR

As always, I am working on another scan. I am scanning the SP500. Anyway, for now, I would like to select stocks with SCTR's above 20.0. When I try to add SCTR > 20.0 the scan still selects some less than 20.0 and it eliminates some > 20.0. I have tried to search the site for a couple of hours now and I have been unable to figure out what I am doing wrong. While I am at it, the scan results that I get include the SCTR on the far-right side of the list. Some are green, some are yellow, and some are red. Do you know what the different colors are supposed to mean? I ask because if I add the SCTR line to a chart I can see that some SCTRs that are red are higher than the previous day.

Comments

• lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited September 23
    The Yellows actually appear to be >=20 and <= 60 on the Summary column. The SCTR appears to use the rounded to 0 decimals approach, so 19.6 is treated like 20. 19.4 is treated like 19.

Without seeing the scan language, it's tough to say why you are getting incorrect results. Make sure that you are running the scan for 0 days ago though, if that's what you are looking for.
  • Also, if you are running the scans in real time (while the market is open, and up to about the final update, around 6pm eastern) the values may be changing with updates. Also, the scan database and the chart database are separate, and the updates may not be perfectly in sync.
  • Thanks. I have tried to add SCRT criteria to my scan. I have used ....and [SCTR > 20.0] or, and [Daily SCTR > 20.0]. They seem to give me the same results. It seems to eliminate some below 20.0 and some above 20.0. FYI, I added the SCTR line to the chart to try and verify it that way as well.

• I'm guessing the scan engine returns the SCTR ranking appropriate to the symbol's group. Some symbols may not have a SCTR because they don't belong to a group. Possibly some symbols have more than one SCTR because they belong to more than one group. I'm not sure about that.

So, it might help to specify SCTR.large, since you are looking at the SP500.

https://help.stockcharts.com/scanning-and-alerts/writing-scans/scanning-for-sctrs

You could run a scan for just SCTR.large > 0 to see what symbols are included, and do that for each group that interests you.

Also, it might help to add the SCTR criteria into your scan from the drop downs, by clicking on the SCTR you want in the drop down box and clicking "Add", rather than typing in "SCTR" yourself. That way you know the scan engine is reading an "approved" version of SCTR. Possibly, if you just type in "SCTR" the scan engine interprets it as SCTR.something else.
  • Thanks again. Appreciate your help a lot
  • Running this scan after hours seems to give correct results:

[group is sp500]

and [SCTR > 20]

rank by SCTR

There are no results less than 20. I can't tell if it is omitting symbols greater than 20.

How did you determine that some results > 20 were getting omitted?
  • I ran the scan with the sctr requirement and then without it. But, I think what you warned me about is what is wrong. I haven't checked in a couple of days but I was running the scans for days other than today. I was also using the sctr line on the chart for verification, at least to verify the sctr value.
  • Aha! Easy to do.