New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

PPO and MACD

JeanDam0JeanDam0
edited April 2016 in Using Technical Analysis
Hi, I,m from Belgium, nice to meet You,

I made a chartlist of scans (Stockcharts.com), with the intention to find stocks which show me candidates for Bullish divergences between prices and the MACD-Histogram on the weekly charts. This gives good results but I have a question:

When I use this chartlist and open the GALLERY-view to control the stocks quickly; I have only for those weekly charts the PPO (6,12,9) indicator and not the MACD- Hist (12,26,9). For example: take the ticker JBL (Jabil Circuit, Inc) and ond the right edge of the weekly PPO (6,12,9) indicator You, now, see a beauty of a bullish divergence. But if I plot the MACD-Histogram on the weekly for JBL, I see not that divergence at all.
My question now: Can I stay still using that PPO (6,12,9) indicator on the weekly's or, do I have to use the MACD-Histogram (12,26,9) for scanning the Bull-divergences? Thus: is PPO as good an reabily as the MACD-Hist for those divergences???
I hope You can understand the language I use.
JeanDam0

Comments

• Hi @JeanDam0 ,

You cannot substitute PPO(6,12,9) for MACD Hist(12,26,9) - mainly because the parameters are not the same.

But, you can change your Gallery chart style to include MACD Hist(12,26,9) instead of PPO(6,12,9).

See this blog article from Chip:

stockcharts.com/articles/chartwatchers/2013/06/now-you-can-customize-galleryview-charts-this-might-just-change-everything.html?st=galleryweekly

So, I think you want to create a chart style that includes the MACD Hist(12,26,9) and you want to name that chart style GalleryWeekly.

- OR -

If you want to use PPO for everything instead of MACD (a good idea), you could change your scan from MACD Hist(12,26,9) to PPO Hist(12,26,9) - note both indicators have the same parameters -12,26,9 - AND create the GalleryWeekly chart style with PPO Hist(12,26,9).

• Hi, markd,
    Thanks a lot. I'll try to change the PPO in MACD with the same parameters and will find my true candidates sooner now.
    But I wonder why Stockcharts.come this PPO value as default in the Gallery view.
    Greetings,