New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Scanning 'WEEKLY' charts

When creating a scan and I enter WEEKLY as the period, I get an error message 'cannot parse weekly', no metter how I try to write it. Can anyone tell me how to create scans based on weekly chart periods vs. daily?
Thank you!

Comments

• can you post what you have in the error scan? It's easier to help you that way.
  • "Could not parse "WEEKLY" located in the clause "[TYPE IS STOCK] AND [SMA(20,VOLUME) > 40000] AND [ WEEKLY ]"
  • [type is stock] and [sma(20,volume) > 40000]
    and [ period = WEEKLY ]
    Could not parse "PERIOD" located in the clause "PERIOD = WEEKLY"
  • [type is stock] and [sma(20,volume) > 40000]
    and [ period is WEEKLY ]
    Could not parse "PERIOD" located in the clause "PERIOD IS WEEKLY"
  • You will need to define what you want to be "weekly". If looking for the SMA(20,volume) to be "weekly" then put Weekly in front of SMA

[type is stock] and [Weekly sma(20,volume) > 40000]

There is no such thing as period.

If you use the dropdowns in the Advanced Scan Workbench, select your filters off of there by using the Add button. Then you can modify those to be weekly or monthly. The default is daily.

So if you selected a common technical indicator like

and [PPO Signal(12,26,9) > 0.0]

You would add weekly in front of it

and [Weekly PPO Signal(12,26,9) > 0.0]

to get weekly data to be used

and [Monthly PPO Signal(12,26,9) > 0.0]

You'll probably want to change UP the volume number if using weekly or monthly as you see fit. The weekly volume is usually much higher than the daily volume.
  • Awesome! Thank you very much!
  • Thank you for this info. Do you know if this also works for Hourly charts or the minimum is daily? Thanks
  • On the scan engine Daily is the min. but it's updated throughout the day.

Support Center » Frequently Asked Questions » Do you provide real-time stock scanning?
    Sort of. Because of the vast amounts of data involved, all scanning systems work with datasets that are slightly older than “real-time.” When the market is open, our scan engines are continually updating the most recent data point for all of the stocks and indexes that they track on a rotating basis. When an Extra or Pro member runs a scan based on the “Last Intraday Update”, the scan engines will use a “most recent” data point that is somewhere between 5 and 30 seconds old, depending on when the scan is run.

markd answered a similar question on this board also. I found it using the Search function.

markd March 2016
    The lowest time frame you can scan for is daily. There is no scannable data for hourly.

You can scan intraday for daily indicators - e.g. daily ema(2) x daily ema(4). The scan engine treats the most recent intraday update as final closing data. But note that even though 2 days is 13 hours and 26 hours is 4 days, a crossover detected intraday in the daily time frame will NOT reliably correspond exactly to a crossover on the hourly time frame - it will probably be late most of the time.