New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Jeff Cooper 1-2-3 Retracement

This is what I'm aiming to scan for. But my attempt to include the inside day seems to be scrambling the results - lower highs keep cropping up. Any suggestions?

Rules (via 'Hit & Run Trading'):
ADX must be more than 30 and the -DI more than the +DI.
Three consecutive higher highs or any combination of 2 higher highs and an inside day.

Here is my scan:

[type is stock] and [country is US]
and [ADX Line(14) > 30.0]
and [Minus DI(14) > Plus DI(14)]
and [Close > 10]

and [[[high > 1 day ago high] and [1 day ago high > 2 days ago high] and [2 days ago high > 3 days ago high]]
or [[high > 1 day ago high] and [1 day ago high > 2 days ago high] and [2 days ago high < 3 days ago high] and [2 days ago low > 3 days ago low]]
or [[high > 1 day ago high] and [1 day ago high < 2 days ago high] and [1 day ago low > 2 days ago low] and [2 days ago high > 3 days ago high]]
or [[high < 1 day ago high] and [low > 1 day ago low] and [1 day ago high > 2 days ago high] and [2 days ago high > 3 days ago high]]]

Comments

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited July 2020
    If I understand the problem, in some cases you are getting today's high lower than 2 days ago high.

So, for the conditions where today is not the inside day (first three) you need to specify that today's high is greater than 2 days ago high, not 1 day ago high.

If 1 day ago high was the inside day, with a lower high vs 2 days ago, then today's high could be greater than 1 day ago high, but NOT higher than 2 days ago high - i.e. somewhere in between the past two highs. I think that's what's happening in those examples that aren't what you expect.

• Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    Don't know if this helps but there is also a filter called Streak Down. This looks at consecutive occurrences. There is also one called Streak Up.

Something like this would be looking at 3 or more consecutive down Highs and Lows starting yesterday.

and [1 day ago Streak Down(high) >=3]
    and [1 day ago Streak Down(low) >=3]

So yesterday's streak down is >= to 3 meaning that the streak started at least 4 days ago.

There are also filters called Count Up and Count Down. These look for a number of times in a period.

This expression is looking for a symbol that closed down 11 or more times in the last 20 days

and [Count Down(20, close) > 10]

Like I said, don't know if it helps, but it's there for use if desired.