New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Technical Alert Workbench

Hi,
I am new to the Alert workbench, I know we can set alert for individual stocks, but can we set alert for a group? For example, if I want an alert when the [MACD Line(12,26,9) x MACD Signal(12,26,9)] for the SPY 500, is that means any time one of the stock's MACD Line crossed the signal, they will send out alert at any time? please help, thanks.

Art

Comments

• markdmarkd mod
    edited January 2021
    I don't use Technical Alerts, but the alert workbench in "advanced" mode allows you to select from the drop downs for all the indexes (including the sp500) and industry groups and those elements pass syntax, so you should get a response when your conditions are met by some number of symbols (you specify the number, one, two, etc.) in those groups.

There are settings for how you get notified. Apparently it won't keep notifying you if your condition(s) get hit more than once during the day for the same symbol, but I would think that if you choose "Continuously all day" and "continue" from the drop downs, and the number of symbols hit to ">0", you should get one separate notification for each symbol in the group the first time it fulfills your condition(s). I don't know if the message specifies which symbol - I hope so.

In general, if the alert workbench let's you do it (your conditions pass syntax), and the conditions you specify are not contradictory (i.e. you specify two or more things that cannot both be true), it should work.

The only way to know is to try, so give it a whirl.

The documentation is here:

https://support.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=alerts:alert_workbench
  • lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    A great way to "test" your Alert is to COPY the code from your alert into the Scan Workbench and run it. You can pick different dates to run on to see if it's returning the results that you expect. You CAN'T test an Alert for results in the Alerts Workbench, so you may never get an alert triggered because your code isn't looking for what you think it should be.

Once you test it on the Scan workbench and are happy with it, copy that code back into the Alert and save it appropriately. I recommend saving it in both the Scan and the Alerts, with the same or similar name. You may find that running the scan is beneficial in many occasions. Like on a Saturday.

When you get an alert via email it will display all the symbols that triggered the alert. Limited to 100 symbols (also why it's beneficial to save as a scan, no limits there).

You can click on any symbol and it will open the chart for that symbol.