New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Scan for Weekly volume jump by 300%

Hi, Looking at the weekly bars I'm having trouble figuring out how to scan for stocks where the weekly volume has jumped by over 300% compared to the prior week.
I'm not a coder and have tried carious syntax including something like this
//and [Volume > *3]
but it failed,
If anyone might be able to help me here, I would very much appreciate any help. Thank you.

//UNIVERSAL US STOCKS EXCLUDING ETFS
[type = stock] //Defines the types of instrument that will be scanned
AND [GROUP IS NOT ETF] //Excludes ETFs from scan
and [country is US]

AND [Daily SMA(20,Daily Volume) > 100000] //Requires the 20 day Simple Moving Average of Volume is over 100,000 shares
AND [Daily SMA(50,Daily Close) > 2] //Requires that the daily 50 Day Simple Moving Average of price is over $5.00
AND [market cap > 500] //Requires that MARKET CAP is over 500,000,000 (Market Cap calculations in Millions)

and [weekly volume > 1 week ago volume]

Comments

• Options
    Writing scans for time frames other than daily can be tricky.

The scan engine always assumes you want daily ( in other words, the daily time frame is the default, or automatic), so when you want weekly or monthly, you have to tell the scan engine that's what you want EVERY TIME you want weekly or monthly.

In other words, every term that can take a time frame modifier like weekly or monthly (all prices and all indicators, but not, say, symbol properties like market cap and sector) must have one or the scan engine will assume you mean daily.

It's OK to mix time frames in a single scan (not recommended, but OK), but it's usually wrong to mix them in a single condition (meaning within one set of brackets). So your scan is OK as written up to the last line:

and [weekly volume > 1 week ago volume] // not doing what you think it should do

It should be:

and [weekly volume > 1 week ago weekly volume]

But, you say up top you want 3x last week's volume, so it would be

and [weekly volume > 1 week ago weekly volume * 3]

NOTE: "weekly" does not mean the last five market days, e.g. Tuesday to Tuesday or Thursday to Thursday. "weekly" means between the first day of the week and the last day of the week, usually Monday - Friday, except when either one is a holiday.

So if you run the scan after close of business on the last day of the week, you are getting "true" or "real" or "final" weekly values.

But if you run it before the end of the week, say Wednesday night or Thursday while the market is open, the scan engine will consider the most recent data update as the "final" weekly reading, even though it isn't. So, the scan results on Wednesday or Thursday may not be the same as you get after the final market close of the week.

P.S:

I noticed that in your code you say you want MA 50 > 2, but in your comment you say you want MA 50 > 5. Not a problem as long as you are aware of it. Excellent commenting by the way - always very helpful.

• Options
    @markd I really appreciate your fast and useful comment back to me, perfect.

Yes the last line where I had the MA >2 but my comment had noted >5, I was messing around with values but forgot to update my commenting prior to submitting this question.

Just discovered this site and have been searching past questions and feedback over the weekend, I've found your responses to many questions to be very helpful & informative. Thank you.
  • Options
    @markd One more question, unrelated to this scan. Is there a way to run a daily scan for a particular date, for back testing purposes, for example, I'd like to get the results as if it were Tuesday February 9th, 2021?
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited April 2021
    At the top of the scan workbench is box that lets you change the date. Click on the 0 and it should display a calendar. Excellent idea to change the dates to test your scans.

• Options
    @lmkwin fantastic, I forgot about that option. Thank you both for your help.