New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

$NYAD

I tried to set up the sell signal that Joe Duarte often refers to. $NYAD crosses below the 50 day moving average and the RSI is below 50. I wrote the alert as this:
[symbol = '$NYAD']
and [SMA(50,close) x close]
and [RSI(14) <50.0]

It should have triggered yesterday. Please help me correct this.
Thank you

Comments

• If you run this alert as a scan, it triggers on the 12th. The cross happened last week.

A great way to "test" alerts is to run them as a scan. The same logic is applied in both workbenches. On the Scan you can change the date to run the "alert" against.
  • @lmkwin correct me if I'm wrong - to clarify for @mobern - an alert will not trigger if the condition is already true when you activate the alert - only if the alert is not true when you activate it and later becomes true.
  • You are correct. Alerts only trigger at the time that they happen. You could set a nested condition inside the alert, just like with a scan, to alert on prior activity though.

This returns a result if the condition was met in the last 6 days in the scan. I didn't test it in alerts, but I do have nested alerts that return results.

[symbol = '$NYAD']
    and
    [
    [[SMA(50,close) x close]
    and [RSI(14) <50.0]]
    or
    [[1 days ago SMA(50,close) x 1 days ago close]
    and [1 days ago RSI(14) <50.0]]
    or
    [[1 days ago SMA(50,close) x 1 days ago close]
    and [1 days ago RSI(14) <50.0]]
    or