New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

CMF negative and improving

How would i write a scan that has a negative CMF score & today's CMF is less than yesterdays ? (improving). Additionally, RSI less than 35 ?

Answers

• markdmarkd mod
    edited January 2015
    These are pretty simple conditions, so you can put this together pretty easily.

On the Advanced Chart Workbench, find the "Technical Indicators" dropdown in the "Scan Builder" section of the page.

When you open that up, slide down until you find CMF, select it and click on "Insert".

Adjust the comparison operator to what you want (>, <, =, >=, <=, etc.)

Then compare today's CMF to yesterday's. Today's CMF is default value, so just write CMF(20) for today. To get yesterday's CMF, use "1 day ago CMF(20)".

Same thing to insert RSI.

Also check out the "Instructions" link and the "Understanding Scans" link at the bottom of the Advanced Scan page. Also check out the video link on the support page. There are several good videos on scan building.

• Just take it one step at a time.

[type = Stock]
    and [country is US]
    and [RSI(14) < 35.0]
    and [1 day ago CMF(20) < 0.0]
    and [today CMF(20) > 1 day ago CMF(20)]

The last line might look a little funny, just remember -2 is greater than -4, ie less negative.
  • Ok Thank you for your help Mark !
  • Greetings, first time poster, and wondering why this does not work?

[type = Stock]
    and [country is US]
    and [RSI(14) < 35.0]
    and [1 day ago CMF(20) < 0.0]

+++++++

And trimming to this gives me 477 NSE's & LSE's only?

Something for sure is trash on this thing

[1 day ago CMF(20) < 0.0]
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited March 13
    4:30 ish pm eastern 3/13

I get 250 symbols across multiple US markets for the first version

I get 2000 symbols (the limit) for the second version across all markets.

If you ran the scans off hours you may have overlapped database maintenance, although they should tell you that.

To answer your other question (not shown here) - I review the forum for new questions most mornings and many evenings, so you should see your post within a day.
  • lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited March 14
    Something I mentioned last year:

I was getting no results whenever I'd put the CMF indicator into a scan. I flipped over to the Predefined Scans page as they have a scan for Improving Chaikin Money Flow. There is zero results showing for the stock indexes when I checked as well. I sent a message to support and they responded

"Thank you for contacting us. You cannot scan for volume-based indicators, like CMF, during trading hours. Their data isn't available for charting nor scanning at that time. There's more information on why posted here:
    https://support.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=faqs:why_arent_my_volume_based_indicators_updating

Please let me know if you have any other questions or comments about our website."

I then followed the link, which talks about the chart updating. Not much help there but then I went to the CMF in ChartSchool and at the bottom of the page there is a note.

"Note: For the purposes of scanning, daily volume data is incomplete during the trading day. When running scans with volume-based indicators like CMF, be sure to base the scan on the “Last Market Close.” Examples of other volume-based indicators include Accumulation/Distribution, On Balance Volume, and the PVO."

I had never noticed this before. Of course, I don't use any of those other 'volume based' indicators in my scans but word to the wise, if you run a scan during the trading day, and you get zero results, check for a 'volume Based Indicator' in your scan. You would need to use a prior date on the scan if running it intraday.
  • lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    To limit your scan to certain exhanges, you would select the Exchange from the Ticker Properties dropdown menu on the scan workbench. Exchange defaults into the workbench like this:

and [exchange is NYSE]

In the Support article for Exchange
    https://support.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=scans:reference:ticker_properties

It lists out the

Acceptable Values:

NYSE, NASDAQ, OTCMKT, PINK, AMEX, TSE, TSXV, CSE, NSE, LSE, ICE, CME, CRYPT

To get NSE and LSE you would change the statement to look like this.

and [exchange is NSE]
    and [exchange is LSE]

Then you would need to change the 2nd statement to be an OR instead of AND as there probably aren't (m)any that are listed on both.

and [exchange is NSE]
    or [exchange is LSE]

Then, because you are using an OR you need to enclose all conditions for that OR in an additional set of brackets. This will let the scan engine know to treat these 2 conditions as 1.

and [[exchange is NSE]
    or [exchange is LSE]]

You can probably replace the and [country is US] with the Exchange lines. For ease of reading you can put them on one line like below. Either way will work, it's just easier sometimes, for troubleshooting, to see the segments of the scan on individual lines.

and [[exchange is NSE] or [exchange is LSE]]