New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Scanning Nightmares?

Has anyone ever spent hours tweaking and testing "the perfect scan," only to get the terrors that they would lose the code or save it incorrectly or whatever, and never be able to piece it back together? I guess I'm half kidding.

Comments

• My own feeling about that is that no scan should be so complicated you can't remember it - that is, the logic of it, not necessarily every word of code. If you remember the logic you can reconstruct the scan.

Nevertheless, I do remember early on forgetting to hit the save button on a regular basis, and so having to re-do things. Eventually I made it a habit to always hit the save button any time I hit the check syntax button and it came back OK.

It's also a good idea to copy and paste your scans into Notepad (or the equivalent on an Apple machine) and save them on your disk or a memory stick, just in case.

And, it's a good idea to document your scans line by line (or at least groups of lines that do one thing). By document I mean, in plain english answer the question, what does this line do and why. Even though a lot of the scan language is "self-documenting", plain english is a lot plainer. When you come back to an old scan, you'll be glad you did.
  • lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    Another option for "backing up" your scans is to go into the Advanced Scan Workbench and click on the Your Scans at the top of the page. This will open a text listing of your scans that can be copied and pasted into a backup document of your choice.

You can also add/edit/delete from this view.

Another thing that I'd like to point out, as I just recently noticed it. On the Advance Scan Workbench is a link to the Predefined Scans. I don't know how long it's been there but it's much handier than what I used to do, which was scroll down the Members Tool pane on the main dashboard.

• Oh, cool, more things I didn't know before, thanks...