New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

SCTR scan code needed for score results 90 - 100

2»

Comments

• Options
    You would put the Volume Indicator on your Chart. Then add the Overlay of SMA and 90 as the parameter

Then you could put a Duplicate line for Volume. Show it behind the first Volume Indicator and add a Horizontal Line Overlay with a Parameter of 600,000

I added color to the Overlays using a colon and color name

Then your Panel will look like this. A SMA line and a Horizontal Line.

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited November 2020
    You have to add any indicators to your charts manually. The chart doesn't "know" anything about your scan.

(P.S. - this answer was written while lmkwin was writing his answer - hopefully both will be helpful)

So, first write your scan on the Scan Workbench, deciding what indicators and overlays to use. THEN, go to the Chart Workbench and either modify an existing chart style, or create a new one, that includes the indicators you chose for your scan.

Note: your chart can have other indicators/overlays on it, too, but for you to check your scan results, it has to have at least the indicators you added to your scan.

Also note: no matter what you put on your chart, the scan results will be the same, because the scan engine (engine = program) doesn't look at your chart - it looks at its own database. The scan engine doesn't send back your chart - it just sends back the SYMBOL that fits your scan (and some canned data from the scan database). Then when you open up the chart, the chart engine sends JUST THE SYMBOL to the chart database, and it returns just the data your CHART requires - NOT the data your SCAN required - because the chart program does not "talk to" the scan program. That's why YOU have to make sure the scan engine and the chart engine are asking for the same thing).

I would add Volume - and an MA - to your charts this way:

Click on any SharpChart to get to the Chart Workbench

Directly under the chart is a line that begins "Chart Styles". If it says "Default", and you want to add or modify Volume on the Default chart style, just leave it. If you have other (one or more) chart styles you want to modify instead, select that chart style now. Otherwise, just leave it as Default.

Just below the Chart Styles line is the Chart Attributes section (first section under the chart). Look for "Volume" on the last line in that section. If the box beside it has a check mark, click on the check mark to make it go away (later, you'll add a different version of Volume under the Indicators sections).

On the same line there are more check boxes. If you want different colors for up volume bars and down volume bars, put a check mark in the box next to "Color Volume". If you want the same color up and down, make the check mark go away if its there by clicking on the box.

Now go down to the next section, which is Overlays. Nothing to do there, so go the next section, which is Indicators.

On the first line, the column headings are Indicators, Parameters, Position. Then next to Position you should see an icon with a green arrow, a gold star and the legend Advanced Options. Click on it and you will see seven more columns, beginning "Reorder" and ending "Parameters". You will need the Advanced Options later.

If you already have indicators selected in the Indicators column, find the last one, then go to the first empty drop down under your last indicator. Open the drop down and select Volume. Don't put anything in the Parameters column next to it. In the Position column, select "Below" (or Above, your choice).

Now, in the Advanced Options section, find the Overlay column. Open the drop down in that column for the Volume indicator you just added. Select Simple Moving Average. Now, in the Parameter column next to Simple Moving Average, add the MA length you want (90). If you want to specify a color for the moving average line, you say something like 90:red to get a red MA line. Valid color choices are the same ones available in the Color drop downs.

IMPORTANT LAST STEP:

If you like the Volume indicator you have created, and want to save it in a chart style, do one of the following:

Back in step one, if you selected Default, click on "Save as Default", which is right next to the Chart Styles drop down on the same line.

Back in step one, if you selected another chart style of your own, click on "Replace".

And finally, if you want to save the chart the way it looks now as a new and different chart style, click "Add New" and give it a name.

• Options

Thankyou for your help. I am currently using this language in my saved scan.

[Close>ema(100,close)]

How do I specifically program this for the 1 hour chart? The reason I ask is because the 1 hour and 1 day looks different for where and when the price is on the charts above the 100 level. Or am I understanding this correctly?

In other words I want to scan for stocks where the current price is above the ema 100 on the hourly chart and not the daily chart.

Thanks

Eric

• Options
    You can type Intraday into the search box in the upper corner of this site for other posts regarding writing intraday scans. The shortest time period for Scans is Daily charts, but there may be some workarounds presented in those posts.
  • Options

Dear Imkwin,

1. I want to search in advanced scan for stock values ranging from say 1 dollar to 2 dollars per share only. How do I write the language for that?

2. Secondly, stock charts does not have real time quotes for OTC stocks at this time. Do you know if they will ever get reconnected again to the live quote feed?

Let me know.

Thanks

Eric

• Options

Dear Imkwin,

Could you please help me put this language in the best order to be most effective when I do the scan? Thanks. Eric

[Type is stock]

and [country is US]

and [volume>600,000]

and [sma(90,volume)>600,000]

and [close<.045]

and [PctChange(1,close)>10]

and [close>ema(100,close)]

and [close>ema(9,close)]

and [ema(9,close)>ema(100,close)]

and [ema(21,close)>ema(100,close)]

• Options
    @fz3501oq
    I do not work for or at StockCharts.com so you would need to address your data questions to them. I don't know what they plan on doing much less what they are doing. I, like you, only know after the fact.

As far as your sequencing on the scan. Looks fine. Your 1st 5 lines return 254 results. Add in the 6th line and it's down to 68. 7th to 43. 8th stays at 43. 9th to 28 10th to 24.

As to your question on close is over a dollar and under 2 dollars. You have this partially written in your code above.

and [close<.045]

You would modify to have the line look at 2 criteria.

close greater than X and close less than Y

and [[close > one dollar] AND [close < two dollars]]