New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Stocks trading for less than X number of years

I'm trying to scan for stocks that have only been trading for less than 10 years.

What I have tried is scanning for stocks that had a price, market cap or outstanding shares equal to 0

and [120 months ago price = 0]
Check syntax and get
Could not parse "PRICE" located in the clause "120 MONTHS AGO PRICE = 0"

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited August 2023
    "price" is not a scan language term. You would have to use high, low, close or open. However, I don't think that will get you what you are looking for. Data that doesn't exist isn't zero, it's null. But I don't think the scan language can look for that.

Here's a link to a similar discussion a while back.

https://scan.stockcharts.com/discussion/comment/1375#Comment_1375

A more time consuming but reasonably effective way to do it would be to run an industry scan, save the results to a list and display the list with a 10 year monthly chart style. Charts that begin after the left edge have been trading for less than 10 years. Keep those and delete the others (using the trash can icon to the upper right).

Tech industries, pharma and biotech would probably get the most results. So for example:

[[exchange is NASD] or [exchange is NYSE]]

and [group is Biotechnology]
  • Options
    Thanks Mark;
    What I'm looking for is stocks that IPOed in the last 10 years.

What I'll try next is a scan for stocks that meet my price and volume criteria 10 years ago
    If that's possible.
    Save the results to a chart list
    Then run the same scan for today and exclude all stocks in the chart list.
    I'll see how that works out.
  • Options
    Well that didn't work;
    Part of the problem being that stockcharts adjusts for stock splits so stocks like AAPL don't show up in the ten yr scan. At least with my price and volume criteria. Not sure how to procede.
    Gotta be a way.
  • Options
    This almost works:
    Scan for stocks trading 10 years ago
    Starting 2530 day ago
    [type = stock] AND [country = US] AND [Daily SMA(20,Daily Volume) > 500000] AND [Daily SMA(60,Daily Close) > 4]
    Save results to chart list. (My list #99) Then:

[type = stock] AND [country = US] AND [Daily SMA(20,Daily Volume) > 500000] AND [Daily SMA(60,Daily Close) >20]
    and [favorites list is not 99] // Stocks trading 10 yrs ago
    and [group is not ETF]
    and [SCTR >80]

Narrow it down to about 150 stocks
    Adding [SCTR >80] just gives me stocks that are performing well lately which is what I'm looking for.
    Still get some overlap , not sure why.
  • Options

X twitter’s advertising dollars now down by 50%

• Options
    Here is a prior discussion thread along the same lines.

https://scan.stockcharts.com/discussion/2530/recent-ipo
  • Options
    Thanks Imkwin. Forgot I started that thread a year ago. Keep looking for better ways to filter stocks for swing trading.
    Keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. :)
  • Options
    I thought your question sounded familiar to a prior question. Now we know why!!! :)
  • Options
    I guess my work around will be to scan for my set-ups, take a look at the results and put the stocks that have ben around for a while (More than X years) in a chart list and adjust my set-up scan to not return any stocks in that list.
    At least that will eliminate stocks I've already looked at.
  • Options
    Look at all those SPACS

Scan Engine Data goes back around 12 years according the the website

https://support.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=scans:intro

Are you using the Rank by to your advantage?

Group is SP500
    rank by [monthly %B(120,2)]

blanks in the rank by column haven't traded 120 months. 120 months is 10 years. You can use any indicator in the rank by. I just used %B as an example.

• Options
    Not going to pontificate on the capitulation but 2021 looks a Lot like 2000
  • Options
    @Imkwin
    Thanks again. I have never used rank, I'll look into it this weekend.
  • Options
    Rank by is a great tool. It allows you to actually see an additional value in the results columns. It also allows you to save the results to a chartlist in that display order.

If you have a chartlist, you can change the sort order using the Summary View, but you are restricted to the fields that are in that view. Using Rank By you can rank by RSI 20 instead of the RSI 14 that is the default. It's a very useful feature.

I have a Rank By scan set up that only has the Rank By (like I suggested above) as the only requirement. I put an existing list or two or five in and then use the rank by to get the results sorted. A Rank By some may find useful is the PctRelative function. You can sort your list by

Rank by [PctRelative(20,$spx)]
    to get a list sorted by relative strengh vs a symbol and time frame of choice

Rank by [PctRelative(20,$industry)]
    to get a list sorted by relative strengh vs the symbol's industry group and time frame of choice

Rank by [PctRelative(20,$sector)]
    to get a list sorted by relative strengh vs the symbol's sector and time frame of choice
  • Options
    @ Imkwin;
    Where do you use "Rank by [PctRelative(20,$sector)]"?
    I tried it in a scan following "AND"

The syntax checker didn't like it.

Looked in chart school and seached for "rank by" but all it showed was SCTR ranking.

Any hints on using the seach if you want all the words included. When I seached for "rank by" I got results for "rank" and "by"
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Rank by must be the last line of the scan. The word AND should not be in front of Rank By. ONLY one active Rank By statement is allowed.

Fun Fact: The Check Syntax will not catch an issue in the Rank By statement, you will just get a blank column in the results. If you do get a blank column it means that the Rank By syntax has an issue, but the advanced editor is not going to help.

So, just remove the AND in front of the Rank By line and try again.

Do you really need the 1st line? Do you have none-stocks and low volume names in list 80? I guess you'll find out.
  • Options
    @Imkwin;
    Thank you again. That will work. Couldn't have got there without your help.
    Much Appreciated!!