New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Shortcut method?? CAPTURE SECTOR SYMBOLS from the SECTOR SUMMARY PAGES??

When I spot rotations, I go to Stockcharts SECTOR list and copy the entire list to paste into a worksheet. In my worksheet, I then copy the symbols column from my worksheet and past into a "NEW CHARLIST". ...I keep that list 1 or 2 months as I monitor the companies therein. After 1 or 2 months, I then delete the entire "list" from my Chartlists and repeat for any other sector of interest. QUESTION: is there a better way than my copy-worksheet-new chartlist method? Thx in advance.

Comments

• Don't know what you are doing with the spreadsheet but to make a chartlist of Indexes and/or sector(s) and/or industry(s), one of many ways it to go to Edit view on a new or existing chartlist.

Click the Add Symbols button at the top.

Click the From Group button

From Predefined Groups dropdown, you can pick a bunch of Index and SP500 sector members, and other groupings, by selecting what you want and then click Add Charts

From Industry Groups you can select the whole sector or industry you want and click the Add Charts button.

The sector and industries are based on the StockCharts.com classification.

If you want to add more than one industry/sector/index to the list, repeat the process to continue adding symbols to the chartlist.

• YIKES !!! Imkwn, That is amazing...thank you. Though I've seen "Group" I never tested it for anything. Very much appreciated. That exceeds my expectations. Thank you. ....Just: Wow.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited October 11
    I keep lists for every industry, organized by sector, so I can just review them at any time, for anything I find relevant. You can run the whole sector or each individual group by adding/removing the // from in front of the line. Obviously, you can add or remove conditions relevant to your method.

For instance, suppose XLE spikes, and you want to know why. You could first look at your list of $DJUS group indexes and see where the strength is. Then you could look at the group list. Maybe run a scan to rank by ROC (rate of change). Etc.

Here is sample scan for creating/refreshing those lists - this one is for Energy. If you find it useful, I can post the rest. If you use them, you should re-run them and refresh your industry lists say once a quarter to account for new listings, de-listing, market cap changes that would include new members, etc.

The two letter code after each group is for the $DJUS index associated with the group, if there is one, e.g. $DJUSOL is Integrated Oil and Gas.

// 00 10 00 10 ENERGY sector and industry membership by market cap

[[exchange is NYSE] or [exchange is NASDAQ]]
    // and [market cap > 200]
    and [market cap > 100]
    and [symbol not contains '/']

and [group is EnergySector] // "all stocks" list renewed in daily ROC rank scan

// and [group is IntegratedOilGas] // OL
    // and [group is ExplorationProduction] // OS
    // and [group is OilEquipmentServices] // OI
    // and [group is Pipelines] // PL
    // and [group is Coal]
    // and [group is RenewableEnergyEquipment] // DWCREE moved to Technology

// and [SCTR.large >=0]
    //and [SCTR.mid >= 0]
    //and [SCTR.small >= 0]

rank by market cap
    // rank by [ PctDiff(volume, 1 day ago sma(21,volume))]
    // rank by [PctChange(1, close)]
    // rank by ROC(63)
    // rank by ROC(21)
    // rank by ROC(10)
    // rank by yield
  • It is useful. Would appreciate the rest.
  • @lnv334 -

OK. Hopefully, I'll get to that over the weekend.
  • The link below is a Scan that @markd shared a while ago. I don't know if it is in line with the current industry listings that StockCharts.com uses (they may have changed or added or deleted some names), but it's a very sound way to get groups of symbols and also apply screening criteria to those groups of symbols.

https://scan.stockcharts.com/discussion/1948/creating-maintaining-and-ranking-industry-lists
  • Yup, that's it all rolled into one. Good memory, @lmkwin.

I have a separate scan for each sector - same lines at the top and bottom sandwiching the appropriate industry list. Makes it all easier to work with without so much scrolling up and down.

If you are going to make your own scans, you could shorten the process this way: copy/paste the linked text in lmkwin's answer above - all of it - into a new scan on the scan workbench, in the pasted text delete all but one industry list (keep the filters at the top and the rank statements, etc. at the bottom), save the scan and name it for the remaining sector. Then do it again for each of the remaining sectors that interest you.

You can compare the industries listed for each sector in the Sectors and Industries drop down on the scan workbench to see if the industries are current.